A Must-Read Rom-Com Novel: “The Friendzone” By Abby Jimenez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The Friend Zone, a contemporary romance novel by Abby Jimenez perfectly quenches your thirst for a summer rom-com read without sacrificing quality of writing and plot. I picked this book up because the cover caught my eye, found myself a few pages in and could not put it down. Here are my (spoiler-free) thoughts: 

Characters

I fell hard for the characters of this one. The plot features Kristen and Josh, two soon-to-be lovers who know in their hearts the romantic tension is oh-so present, but do everything they can not to act on it. Well, kind of. Kristen’s tough-girl attitude matched with Josh’s strong sense of predation (he will do anything to catch what he’s been staring at), calling for intensity, tension and thrill. The best part is, it’s not too unrealistic, making the read fun and relatable. Most importantly, Kristen’s growth throughout the novel highlights the power of femininity and rules we should all follow: do not settle, know your worth, set your boundaries and be yourself. Kristen embodies these perfectly, making her character that much more inspiring. 

Storyline 

Yes, it is the cliche joining of two characters who can’t be together but want to be so dearly… yet it accomplishes this in a way that is strong, empowering, inspiring and thrilling. The Friend Zone captures all your feelsy needs without making you cringe at how the story unfolds. 

Writing Style

This book is outright hilarious. Jimenez uses wit, sarcasm and plain-old humor to heighten each interaction between Josh and Kristen, adding both to their relationship and your experience as a reader. Jimenez is an incredibly talented writer, and I am stoked for her next piece, which is expected to release sometime 2020! 

Themes

The Friend Zone is extremely eye-opening relationship-wise. It’s kind of a novel and handbook in one. Here’s what I picked up: 

1. Know your boundaries, and make them clear.

2. Know where your worth rests and what it is.

3. Know what you want, and make it clear.

4. Do not settle, ever.

5. Communicate. Communicate. Communicate. 

Mood

The Friend Zone makes you feel everything: excitement, joy, love, lust, sadness, fear… pick it up and feel them for yourself! 

Final Thoughts 

It’s just, so good. The title may be misleading— forming incorrect assumptions about how the story and how it’s written as to be something cliche and old, but it is everything but. Perfect to read before bed, during the day, or when you just want to be immersed into a world that is not yours. Read away! 

Nicolette is sophomore at UCLA studying psychobiology with a minor in professional writing. She is the author of her first published book, Control Mindset, a nonfiction guide to taking control of your mind & reality. Her aspirations are in the field of medicine, but she enjoys connecting the art of writing and creation with the sciences. She thinks writing biographies is very hard so she is butchering this as she types. She thanks you for reading her article and hopes you learned something new. She also loves coffee and needs some right now. She argues dark roast is the best roast. She's also probably hungry right now. Nom nom.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.