Movies and Melanin: ‘The Lion King’ Casting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Disney fans prepare yourselves for the new cast for the 2019 live-action remake of The Lion King— announced by Disney on November 1. The film is set for a July 19, 2019 release date and I cannot wait. I am living for the impressive choices that have been made.

The cast is stacked with some of Hollywood’s biggest names. We have the charismatic actor/singer Donald Glover being cast as the main character, Simba. Right by his side is Beyoncé the goddess herself, voicing Nala, the strong and independent love interest to Simba. The animated film Epic (2003) was the last time we saw Beyoncé hit the big screen and let me tell you, I cannot wait to see the magic of Donald Glover and herself!

Voicing the younger versions of Simba and Nalaare young actors JD McCrary and Shahadi Wright Joseph— not being the first time JD and Donald Glover worked together. During the making of Childish Gambino’s latest album Awaken, My Love!the talented JD auditioned and landed a role as a guest singer on the song “Terrified.” Meanwhile his co-star Shahadi recently starred as Little Inez in the 2016 version of Hairspray Live! These young performers certainly have a lot more talent to show.

An actress that I am beyond excited to see is Florence Kasumba. The 41-year-old Ugandan actress will be voicing Shenzi, one of three hyena henchmen under Scar. I fell in love with Kasumba after seeing her debut as Ayo, King T’challa’s top bodyguard, in Captain America: Civil War. She successfully displayed the true strength and intimidation that the character exudes. Kasumba also reprised her role as Ayo in the Marvel film Black Panther. Yet another movie for me to fan-girl over!

One of the reasons why I’m so excited about these two films is because of the powerful casting of black actors and performers. When I first saw the cast list for Black Panther, I broke into tears. I felt like they were getting their deserved breaks, to finally be seen in different roles where they can expand their talents. I was especially happy to see the face of Lupita Nyong’o again in Black Panther. I will never forget that pivotal moment when she won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress at the 86th Academy Awards Ceremony for 12 Years Slave. Her achievement meant so much to not just the black community, but also to young women like me who just want to see themselves represented in a positive light on screen.

Overall the casting for these movies makes me confident in the future of film!

UCLA 2020 Pamela is a Feature Writer for the UCLA Chapter of Her Campus. When Pamela isn't stressing over exams you can find her obsessing over skin care routines, reading POC-centered novels, and attempting to exercise. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.