Met Gala 2017: The Memorable and the Meme-able

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Known as “The Biggest Night of Fashion” the Met Gala lived up to our expectations. And I don’t mean just our fashion expectations, I’m talking about the memes.

Like every year, the red carpet fundraiser marks a day in which everyone on twitter unleashes their inner Joan Rivers.

In all seriousness, the Met Gala serves as a fundraiser for the museum, with the invite-only tickets costing a staggering $30,000 (and an even crazier $275,000 for a table). It’s no surprise that the majority of us without invites can only do the next best thing, make fun of the crazy outfits. This year the fundraiser paid homage to Comme de Garçons designer Rei Kawakubo, meaning the night was sure to be full of avant garde fashion.

So leave your fomo behind as we list the top 10 most memorable (and most meme-able) moments of the night

1.Rihanna Stealing The Show

It’s no surpise that Riri stole the show. Her colorful ensemble has taken the twitter sphere by storm, inspiring the best mems such as people attempting to recreate her look.

Who wore it better?

2.Selena and The Weeknd

While it’s not a meme, we couldn’t get over how cute Selena and The Weeknd looked together. Look. at. that. smile. 

4. All the Cute (Power) Couples

Of course no Met Gala is complete without Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds being #GOALS

3.Nicki being a total fangirl

Nicki Minaj also slayed the red carpet in a dramatic H&M designed dress. However our favorite part of the night was checking her Instagram feed, where she posted all the pictures she took, her captions revealing her inner fangirl. . 

Same Nicki, same

4. When P.Diddy (AKA Sean Combs) was literally us

Speaking of relatable, P.Diddy was spotted louning on the stairs while his wife had a mini photoshoot. We should all aspire to be as extra as P. Diddy. 

5. Speaking of Extra…

Priyanka Chopra’s Ralph Lauren trench coat reminded us of how we feel when we’re facebook stalking that cute boy in our class. 

6. Katy Perry, Katy Perry, Katy Perry

While Priyanka’s trench coat made us think of Carmen San Diego. Katy Perry’s ensemble was remniscent of our favorite 80’s movie. 

7. Fashion Accessories

While Katy’s dress may have turned heads, nothing was quite as Avant Garde as Jayden Smith’s accecories of the night, namely, his freshly cut dreads.

8. Avant Garde isn’t for Everyone  (according to Twitter) 

While twitter users everywhere had a lot about Jayden’s ( lack of) dreads, they threw shade at pretty much everyone. 

9. No one was Safe from Twitter’s savagery.

The Twitter Shade is Real.

10. The Moral of the Story is…

At the end of the day, the Met Gala is sucessful in raising money for the arts and for taking bathroom selfies with your best friends. ( And for reading hilarious tweets) 

Photographs taken from Twitter.com

Helen Zapata is a sophomore majoring in English at UCLA. Beyond writing she loves crafting, gardening, planning elaborate birthday parties and reading bad romance novels.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.