UCLA hill sunset sky
UCLA hill sunset sky
Ashley Ha
Career > Her20s

Meet The Bruin Women Who Will Change The World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Being the #1 public university in the nation, UCLA is home to extraordinary students of all genders, race, creeds and origins who will no doubt shape the future. From public policy to technological advancements and humanitarianism work, UCLA Bruins have truly proved to the world all they have been capable of and set a precedent of what people can expect from a group of such well-rounded and talented individuals. 

As important as it is to reflect on the accomplishments of Bruin’s past, to truly move forward in innovation and education, we must look to a more progressive future which, finally, is coming up female. Here are some extraordinary Bruin women who will change the world. Be sure to remember their names! 

Makenna Brown, Political Science Major

woman with face in hands
Makenna Brown
Her Campus at UCLA: How does feminism take an influence on your professional dreams? Who are the women who have inspired you?

Makenna Brown: My dream career is to become a politician at the federal level. Not necessarily for my entire career, but ideally I can dedicate my life to helping others and my time in office could be spent doing what I’m unable to do as an ordinary citizen. I know it is cheesy or even unrealistic to some to believe that I can actually enact change via the political sphere, but I’d prefer people view me as naive than to accept the alternative of there being no hope of making our political system and world better. 

Feminism to me is simple. It is supporting other women and speaking out against inequality between the sexes. Currently, I think it is crucial that, domestically, women solidify our bonds and connection with each other so that we can all stand together to oppose the people and regimes around the world that do not allow women the same rights we have in the US, and often times are subjecting them to even worse circumstances that are unfathomable to a lot of us. 

A lot of the women who have recently entered politics within the past few years have been a huge inspiration to me. Women such as Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and many many more I believe are part of a new generation of politicians that are going to make real change and not just in favor of millionaires on Wall Street. AOC especially has been a huge role model for me lately. I think we need more politicians who directly speak out against the injustices and issues with our political and justice system. People who are in it to actually better the lives of their constituents and future generations, not being blinded by immediate reward while neglecting all the long term damage those rewards do.

Sydni Brown, Sociology Major

selfie of woman at the beach
Sydni Brown
Her Campus at UCLA: What are your biggest career aspirations and what aspects empower your decisions?

Sydni Brown: My dream career is to own my own birth center. To me, feminism means equality among all genders. I’m empowered knowing that the path I chose for myself is the right one, and regardless of what I’m doing, I know I’m making someone proud.

Rubie Amaya-Yanez, American Culture and Literature Major

woman standing next to pillar
Esther Kang
Her Campus at UCLA: What do you hope to accomplish in your chosen career path and what does feminism mean to you? 

Rubie Amaya-Yanez: I want to be a lead of public relations or fundraising manager for a major corporation. It would be amazing to provide support and work for homeless people through the Los Angeles Area, focusing mainly on Los Angeles youth. The principal of feminism for me is equality and equity. Each is necessary to produce a fair and equal society. It is the idea that you empower those surrounding you with your feminine power and acknowledging intersectionality through all platforms. I feel empowered everyday by acknowledging I was raised by a household of women from diverse backgrounds, and knowing that I am actively trying to achieve a better future for myself and the ones I love.

Rachel Teo, Psychology Major

woman holding stuffed animal
Rachel Teo
Her Campus at UCLA: What is your dream job and how do you find empowerment within your own life? 

Rachel Teo: I want to become an emergency pediatrician or a psychiatrist. I’ve always been interested in Psychology and it was actually Criminal Minds that got me into Psychology. I originally wanted to be an FBI agent, but I’m not a U.S citizen, so the closest thing to that is a psychiatrist. And a pediatrician because I love kids and I want to help them. I am empowered by reflecting on my day and writing down what I’m grateful for and through finding motivational and empowering quotes. 

Sophie Seeholzer, English Major

woman smiling with arms crossed
Sophie Seeholzer
Her Campus at UCLA: What aspects of your life have inspired you professionally and empower you on the daily?

Sophie Seeholzer: I want to be a writer/author. My passion for literature and writing has been with me since I was a young child. I am empowered by the challenges of adversity and the positive role models in my life (my mom, sisters, etc.) They inspire me to continue to pursue what I love. 

Thank you to all the women who gave Her Campus at UCLA a look into what we can anticipate in a future that is female! 

Esther Kang is an English major at UCLA who hopes to pursue a career in broadcast journalism. In her free time, she loves to spend the day inside watching Netflix, spending time with friends and exploring the Los Angeles area.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.