This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As humans, we tend to adapt. We adapt to the best situation, the worst situation, and our only focus is to survive. In a world filled with persistent technological influences, overwhelming political presence and groundbreaking medical research, the human race has been put to the test to adapt to the new normal; the new normal being COVID-19 pandemic. The pandemic in its entirety is a difficult situation to get used to, to be positive about and to continue normal life with, yet it is essential we make the best of it. Making the best of a bad situation doesn’t take a grand scheme, but rather working on the little things: mental health, routines, being with loved ones, being productive, etc. 

covid-19 wall graffiti
Photo by Adam Nie?cioruk from Unsplash

Our environment is constantly changing, even when we don’t notice it. We have all encountered change, whether it be starting a new quarter/semester at college, redecorating your room or even talking to different friends each day. Change is good, but in the case of COVID-19, change was abrupt, forceful, unimaginable and became the sole topic of conversation in a majority of households around the world. Now the question is asked, where is the good in this? The good lies within a positive mentality, focusing on yourself and loved ones, taking the right precautions and once again making the best out of what it is. This can be done by sticking to a routine. Plan out your week, plan out the work you need to get done, and even plan out any type of entertainment. Planning and keeping a routine lets you have a sense of control and autonomy during this unpredictable time, and it also allows you to have something to look forward to.

Another important reminder is to take advantage of what is in front of you. We are in the peak of the holiday season with Halloween around the corner, then Thanksgiving and then finally Christmas. Encourage and create fun activities like pumpkin carving, making Halloween themed desserts, or even decorating your home. Focusing on the holiday season lets us have a distraction and allows us to maintain that sense of normalcy we have all lacked in the last several months.  

Milk-Bone Halloween Mask and Bandana Set
Milk-Bone

Humans are social beings. We like being around people, we like to empathize with our loved ones, we like to share stories and so on. It keeps us sane and connected. In some ways, it gives us purpose. Unfortunately, because of the pandemic it seems harder than ever to continually socialize with our friends and family. We often feel depressed or just unmotivated to go out into the world, and it’s easy to think to ourselves “I will get in touch with people once this pandemic is over”. But when will it be over? The thing is that we do not know, and as mentioned before, we need to get used to this new normal. So keep up socializing (while social distancing), because we still need to be there for each other, and honestly, it makes the situation more normal. In a world with a lot of technology, talking to people has never been easier. Facetime someone, send a funny meme on Instagram, have a conversation on WhatsApp and just keep connected. It makes unprecedented times more bearable. 

zoom call with friends
Photo by Gabriel Benois from Unsplash

There is no “end” to COVID-19. The impact the virus has on our communities will be everlasting. But it is up to us to remain optimistic, keep it together and act responsibly. We must accept the changes while also keeping our mental health in mind. So take advantage of the people around you, immerse yourself in new plans and hobbies and keep your chin above the water.

Yasmin is a second year student at UCLA. She is majoring in Psychobiology and minoring in Global Health. Other than being involved in Her Campus, she does research at the Semel Institute in Los Angeles and is a member of Flying Sams. She loves reading, binge watching Netflix shows, and painting (even though she isn't great).
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.