element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Make Your Own Ornaments For Your Christmas Tree This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It is that time of year when you can gather around the Christmas tree with your family and spread some holiday cheer! Christmas is soon approaching, and that means presents, parties and food. The best part about Christmas is being able to share your happiness with your friends and family. One well-known tradition is decorating your Christmas tree. However, instead of buying expensive ornaments from stores, make this year more unique by making your own ornaments instead!

To start off, instead of buying ornaments with pre-made designs, buy clear ornaments. You can put fake snow in the clear ornaments by ripping up pieces of cotton or putting origami designs in them to brighten up the Christmas tree! One thing I like to do with clear ornaments is put fake snow and glitter in them, while also putting adding pom poms to make the ornaments more bright and colorful!

Another idea for making your own ornament is by buying ornaments that have a solid color and then using dry glitter markers to write a message on them. For example, you can buy red ornaments and use green glitter markets to write something on those ornaments. Your message can be your own signature or a greeting wishing your friends and family a merry Christmas!

In addition, you can make your decorations stand out by choosing an ornament that is not round. Instead, make an ornament out of pictures! For example, you can print photos of yourself or people you hold dear to your heart. After printing those photos out, you can cut around the individuals or the object. When you’re done cutting the images, you can then place them on construction paper or another paper background and cut around the bodies to outline the figures. Later, you can create a hole above and string the photo through yarn or ribbon so that they can be held on the branches of the Christmas tree. In this way, you can make your very own ornament that holds its unique sentimental value. 

Christmas is an amazing time to celebrate with friends and family. A Christmas tree may be part of your Christmas festivities, and decorating this Christmas tree is a good time to invoke your own creativity. In decorating the tree, you can make your own ornaments by inputting your own designs or by creating an ornament out of scratch! Creating your own ornaments allows you to use your imagination, and the possibilities are endless.

Jamie Vu

UCLA '23

Jamie is a second year student at UCLA. She loves to listen to music and enjoys going to concerts and listening to artists live. During her free time, she likes to go out and explore.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.