IMG 9800jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 9800jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Katherine Pappas

London Is Calling: Sightseeing This Beautiful City While Studying Abroad This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

My study abroad experience began as I started looking through course catalogs and website, speaking with counselors and advisors, talking to other peers and looking up dazzling travel destinations and excursions on Pinterest. Picking a location and program for your study abroad experience can often be the hardest part of the process. In my case, I knew I wanted to be able to experience a broad scope of Europe, while also absorbing the greatest amount of culture and history as I could in the span of a summer courseload. Luckily, I was able to find the perfect fit for me: Political Science and Domestic and Foreign Politics in Europe. 

And so the journey began. My program was a month-long political science travel study program where I was able to get 8 upper-division credits while making memories that would last a lifetime. I was about to analyze European politics from London, Brussels, Amsterdam and Paris all while taking in the sights and rich culture of each city. However, my favorite city we visited over the course of my month-long program would have to be the beautifully historic and lively city of London.

London… ah, where to begin! The first rule of thumb when studying abroad is not to hold your expectations too high. London was the first of the four cities that we traveled to and, honestly, I was not overly enthusiastic and did not really even know what to expect. I recommend asking your professors and advisors for advice on where to go and what to see while you are abroad, since they have been around the block before. Particularly for summer programs, UCLA professors tend to accompany you on the program and act as your teachers, mentors and travel companions. Sharing my study abroad experience with two of my UCLA professors was so special, and it is an opportunity available only for summer study abroad programs.

Now down to the essentials: how do you find the richest historical and memorable sights in London? Honestly, anywhere you go and anything you do during your study abroad experience is what you make of it. Go to cathedrals, monuments and museums that you know nothing about. Try the cafes, restaurants and tea rooms recommended by the concierge and locals. Live in the moment- be spontaneous! But here are just a few more specific suggestions:

• Have tea at Harrod’s Tea Room with a group of friends and enjoy the ambiance and finger sandwiches.
  • Visit Buckingham Palace and imagine how royalty lives.
  • Take a walk through St. James Park and rent a few beach chairs for one euro as you watch the ducks saunter about near the pond.
  • Take a trip to the Historic District and visit Parliament and Winston Churchill’s Secret War Rooms.
  • Have a night on the town in the lively district of Covent Gardens where shops and restaurants abound!

My study abroad experience has added so much value, perspective and excitement to my life. It is an experience that I will always remember, from tea and crumpets to seeing the sights from above on the London Eye, this special city now has a place in my heart.

Katherine Pappas is a third-year Political Science and Philosophy double major from the Bay Area. During her free time she loves to go on hikes, adventures with her friends, travel the globe and find the cutest coffee shops around campus! In the future, Katherine is planning on going to law school and becoming an attorney specializing in human rights, M&A or international law.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.