This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

For most people, Mexico is the perfect spring break or summer vacation destination. With its beautiful, blue and clear waters and delicious cuisine, who wouldn’t choose to spend their time off in such a vibrant country? And while many of the popular destinations are representative of Mexico, coming from a Mexican family, I am privileged to experience a different side of Mexico.

As I sit in a small computer lab, I am writing this article recounting how I lived the good life these past two weeks in the beautiful Municipio de Yahualica de Gonzalez Gallo, Jalisco; Mexico. 

I arrived to the International Airport of Guadalajara on August 5, 2017, where we drove almost two hours to reach our destination: Yahualica. There, we unpacked and got ready for a night out in the ´´plaza´´ (commonly known to be the center of the town). The first thing I wanted to do was eat the yummy food.

Mexico is known to have exquisite dishes… even when it is simply some tacos from a family-owned taco stand or some delicious hand-made pastries. Of course, this night I had to have tacos.

Another interesting thing here is the notion of time. Here, it is not a trade-off between work and time off because people choose to have both. Most shops and restaurants open around 8:30 am and close at 2 pm. Some people go home, have lunch and rest for a bit during this time, then return and open up the shops again at 4 pm and close later that night. Other people choose to sit outside and soak in the sun. Some people are self-employed as ´ganaderos´ or cattle breeders, so they run on their own clock. As I was there, I was able to experience the way people interact with one another and seem to live a less stressed life. 

Our culture and traditions are celebrated through the food, the people, the music, the artwork, architecture, and religion.

Religion is a central and essential aspect of almost all pueblos throughout Mexico. Where there is the ´plaza´, there will be a church right across it.

Here is the plaza that I go to:

In fact, many of the ´fiestas ‘or celebrations, are in honor of our religion. People celebrate by attending mass and then through parties that never seem to end! The photo below shows people walking through the streets in commemoration of “El Señor Del Encino.” 

Our traditions are also celebrated through cultural fairs put on by the Mexican Government throughout select municipals. Yahualica happened to have one this year. Below are some photos of our cultural dance groups, the music, and more! 

One last important aspect of all my trips to Mexico is visiting my grandparent’s ranch, El Ojo de Agua. With skies so clear and air so fresh, life seems to be so pure. My phone is useless here. My time is occupied helping my grandmother feed her animals as well as going out to the fields to help my grandfather find mushrooms or fruits. Life here is so tranquil… the perfect getaway from the hectic life we sometimes live in. Below are some photographs that try to capture the beauty and simplicity of life in the ranch. 

There is much more I can write about from these past two weeks… but I will end it by saying this- to some, the good life here is found through the many riches and lavish experiences they can have, but to me this is how to live a good life in Mexico—it is to live it the way a local does. I encourage you all to always experience place in their most authentic form to have the best memories.

Photo Courtesy of Gloria Villalobos 

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.