Letting Loose: 6 Safe And Enjoyable Things You Can Still Do This Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Even though we’re finally getting a well-deserved break, it’s important to stay safe during this especially busy time. Being safe doesn’t mean you can’t have fun though! Here are six suggestions for how to enjoy your break while still being safe:

Catch Up On Sleep!

This should be the first thing on everyone’s winter break to-do list. For most of you college students, I probably don’t have to tell you this twice. Reward yourself for making it through a tough quarter by getting some rest! Let the hibernation begin!

Check out a Drive-Through Holiday Experience!

If you love Christmas music and looking at elaborate Christmas decorations, this is an activity for you! Here in Los Angeles, drive through holiday experiences are on the rise. Basically, you purchase a ticket (one per car), and you get to drive through a mini winter wonderland! It’s the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit while staying safe.

Watch Some New Cheesy Holiday Movies or Start a New Show

With all of this new free time, it’s finally time to start that show you always say you’re going to start. If you’re a cheesy rom-com lover like me, the holidays are great because Netflix and Hulu always release an abundance of corny holiday flicks to enjoy! Happy watching!

Go Outside!

If you live in a beach city, now is the perfect time to grab your mask and go for a nice, relaxing walk on the sand. If you’re more of an active person, go on a scenic hike in your area. After the past few weeks of non-stop studying, it’s time to turn the technology off and get our bodies moving again.

Read a Book (Or two… or five)

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m super excited to curl up with the books that have been collecting dust on my shelf. It’s a great way to keep your brain working, but it doesn’t tire you out the same way schoolwork does.

Stay in Touch with your Loved Ones

Now that finals are over, hopping on Zoom can actually be fun! Get your friend group together on a call and play a virtual game, watch a movie, or just spend time catching up! With the holiday season as backdrop, you could bake some holiday cookies, or decorate your homes together!

As we approach the end of a tough year, take this break to treat yourself! Just remember: staying safe and protecting those you love beats any COVID-unfriendly activity at this time. Stay safe, have a great holiday season and a great new year! 

Isis is a second year (pre) Human Biology and Society major at UCLA and she is thrilled to be a Feature Writer for the Her Campus team! In her spare time you can find her at the beach, singing, playing the piano/ukulele, reading or taking long, long naps.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.