Let’s Talk About All The Taylor Swift Backlash…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The past few weeks have been pretty interesting for the Swiftie Community, and I’ve found myself a bit confused about where I stand. As someone who isn’t too invested in the Grammy’s, the NFL, or the Taylor Swift scene, I feel like I’m in a good spot to chime in. Having been both a Swiftie and a Taylor Hater at different times, I can totally see both sides of the argument.

Here’s a bit of background: When I was younger, between the ages of 6 and 11, I was the ultimate Swiftie. I performed her songs at every school talent show, plastered her posters on my wall, and even attended her Fearless Tour. However, around 2016, when the world seemed to collectively criticize her due to the infamous Kanye West “Famous” scandal, I regret to admit that I quickly joined the side of her haters. Reflecting on it now, as a young girl raised in a society influenced by misogyny, I’m ashamed to acknowledge how easily I gave in to that negativity.

Despite this, I remained a fan from her debut album to 1989, and now I’m here to share my perspective on this hot topic all over my FYP.

Taylor vs Kanye

I can definitely argue that this feud seems pointless, irrelevant, and frankly, should never have happened. As a fan of Kanye’s music and someone who feels a great deal of empathy for him after watching his “DONDA” documentary, it’s hard to ignore the fact that he’s a grown man who seems unable to move past a conflict with a woman who was just 19 when it began.

Let’s ignore the VMAs drama for now and zero in on his infamous track “Famous”. By including the line “I made that b*itch famous” without Taylor’s consent, Kanye crossed a line. While Taylor did agree to some of the lyrics, that specific quote was never approved by her. And that’s not okay, regardless of where you stand on this issue.

Imagine someone taking credit for your success without your permission – wouldn’t you be upset? And then, on top of that, to manipulate evidence to make it seem as though you consented when you didn’t – wouldn’t that infuriate you?

Let’s take a moment to reflect on how, as a society, we directed our criticism towards a young, accomplished woman simply because she expressed discomfort at being denied credit for her own achievements.

For this, we ALL owe Taylor an apology.

White feminism

Taylor has previously delved into political discourse but notably scaled back after 2020, a decision I now understand. As a public figure, particularly in the realm of music, I don’t believe it’s her obligation to take a stance on every issue, especially if she hasn’t thoroughly educated herself on the matter. It seems unreasonable to expect musicians to provide political guidance while not holding our own politicians to the same standard.

However, I acknowledge the frustration some may feel. Taylor possesses a large platform, predominantly reaching a specific demographic, which could greatly benefit from messages of inclusivity and acceptance that align with historical feminist movements. Taylor has the power to change the world with her voice and chooses not to, which is upsetting because she is so influential.

She single-handedly put the name Travis Kelce in every woman’s vocabulary, even mine, and I don’t even care about football!

But if we are mad at Taylor for being silent, I better see the same energy for every musician. As influencers, celebrities have the power to educate their audiences about real world problems and make actual change in our society that is so divided.

Matty Healy

Taylor has a history of aligning herself with individuals who have deeply problematic beliefs and behaviors. Take, for example, her association with Matty Healy, a musician known for having anti-semitic, racist, and misogynistic views. 

Whether their connection was romantic or not is beside the point; the fact remains that she allowed herself to be associated with someone whose ideologies stand in direct opposition to the values of inclusivity and respect. It’s understandable to question why anyone would willingly align themselves with such a hateful individual. 

This isn’t just a matter of a rebound relationship, a common trope often used to excuse such associations; rather, it speaks to a pattern of questionable judgment in the company she keeps.

@talylorswift13

may have been the most terrifying experience ever #swifttok

♬ illicit affairs x sot – misha 🍉
the Grammys

Thoughts: Yuck. Taylor’s moves that night were a tad cringe-worthy, though I wouldn’t have formed that opinion if it were not for TikTok.

Personally, I wouldn’t have seized that moment to drop an album announcement, nor would I have dragged Lana on stage, but I get her angle. I get Lana’s involvement in the album, but seriously, imagine losing an award only to have the winner use the stage to plug new stuff? Especially when Lana’s never won a Grammy?

Some people were also upset about Taylor apparently ignoring Celine Dion, which threw me off initially, but hey, stuff happens when we get caught up in the moment.

Then there’s also outrage about Taylor standing during performances, supposedly stealing the spotlight from other artists, but come on, who wouldn’t dance to live music? Maybe the Grammys isn’t the ideal spot, but cut her some slack.

But seriously, justice for Lana! That would’ve shattered me.

the NFL

This is the moment I’ve been waiting for! It’s surprising how worked up some NFL fans are getting over Taylor’s presence. She’s simply there to support her partner – why all the fuss? These NFL fans – they’re acting absolutely insane. There are so many edits out there, all aimed at tarnishing Taylor, even though she’s not even on the field.

Here’s a hot take: A lot of the people complaining about Taylor being at the games probably haven’t even watched a football game themselves. And for the other half who actively watch football, maybe it’s time to focus more on the game. Criticizing her for this isn’t a good look.

However, for all the Taylor fans who are suddenly Chief fans, let’s talk.

Overall, it’s time for everyone to take a breather and move on. For those NFL fans, Reputation TV is just for you. 

Private jet lore

Alright, it’s time to address something that might not sit well with everyone, but it’s necessary. Taylor, what’s the deal? I couldn’t care less about your billionaire status or your discomfort with commercial flights — what’s going on?

Taylor recently faced criticism for allegedly generating 138 tons of CO2 emissions with her private jet in just three months. While some argue that she’s not the only one flying on her jet as she lends it out to friends, in my opinion, that doesn’t make it any less concerning.

Here I am, struggling with soggy paper straws during my 50-minute lectures to cut down on plastic waste and save the turtles, yet Taylor needs her private jet to get from Japan to the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, I feel guilty if I can’t find a recycling bin for my plastic bottles, but she’s taking insanely short jet rides. We can do better.

I don’t care if other billionaires are doing the same – that doesn’t excuse her from criticism.

Let’s also not overlook the fact that she sent a cease and desist letter to a college student for calling out her jet usage, dismissing it as creepy when it’s public knowledge. I understand the safety concern, but isn’t it a bit ironic that she’s only focusing on him for calling her out and not her fan pages for tracking her every move? Ironic, isn’t it?

@delilah_isabel

This is 100% not just on her but it does point to a much larger problem that needs to be discussed. A big fanbase and a lot of good deeds don’t absolve responsibility and accountability – they aren’t mutually exclusive. #taylorswift #jacksweeney #taylorswiftprivatejet #climatechange

♬ original sound – Delilah

Take what’s been discussed as a starting point for forming your own opinion and have a great day!<3

xoxo,

Jenny ✨💕

Jenny is a second-year Psychology major at UCLA, from Reedley, California. She loves working out, going on iced coffee runs, staying updated with the latest celebrity gossip, and watching early 2000's rom-coms. In her free time, you'll likely find her walking around campus with an iced coffee, music blaring, and always shopping on Bruinwalk.