Lessons From Across the Pond: Winter Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Last quarter, I shared with HerCampus some of the things that I had discovered in California since my arrival in September (www.hercampus.com/school/ucla/lessons-across-pond …Click this link for the article). Four months on, it is about time to track my progress as a Bruin. I have settled in to my California environment and have had some memorable experiences. Having found a way to balance my time between studying for classes and exploring Los Angeles, my perspective about the West coast has deepened since September. Here are five more things about Cali-culture for all potential or hopeful visitors to UCLA from the other side of the Atlantic.

Firstly, visitors should note the idiosyncratic American holiday calendar and look forward to American-specific public holidays such as Presidents’ Day and Martin Luther King Jr Day. These are great ways to commemorate and learn about the history of the United States and also provide a day off from work or school. Also, although not an official public holiday, Valentine’s Day is a very big deal here. If I had woken up on February 14th and not remembered that it was Valentine’s Day, I would have been quickly reminded by the bouquets of roses and pink decorations all across campus on my way to class! Conversely, one of my favorite days of the year, Pancake Day, is not commemorated here! Also known as “fat Tuesday,” this day marks the day before the start of Lent in the Catholic calendar and is a great excuse for everyone to fill up on crepes and get creative with sweet or savory toppings.

Secondly, I have learnt that being at UCLA is a handy way to see and even meet celebrities. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Mel Gibson have made appearances at Pauley Pavillion this basketball season, whilst Chris Rock, Bill Maher and Seth MacFarlane have surprised students in classes this quarter. I even met James Van Der Beek in Westwood recently, and kept myself together enough to not pass out with excitement.

A third aspect of SoCal life to which I have adjusted is Californian weather. Whilst I am still getting used to the perpetual sunshine of the west coast I am always surprised on those rare rainy days to discover that Californians do not cope well with the rain. Some people are practically scared by rain, frightened enough to miss class for as long as the peculiar weather persists. Of those who do venture in to the outdoors many are confused about rain-appropriate attire, and wear shorts and flip flops regardless of the puddles. FYI for any west coasters thinking of visiting London, as much as it is sunny in southern California is as much as it rains across the Atlantic. Be prepared!

Finally, in adapting to my new environment I have enjoyed the variety of options available in L.A to get frozen yoghurt and ice cream. One of my favorites for fro-yo, Yoghurtland, has a fantastic variety of flavors, which change on a daily basis! The chain is also student-friendly: the price-by-weight system is so reasonable and stores are open until midnight, providing a great late-night study break. An alternative for sweet treats, and a UCLA student favorite, is Diddy Reese. It is fantastic for its more than affordable prices but if you can not stand to wait in the infamous line for Diddy Reese on these “cold” L.A evenings, pop around the corner to equally delicious and much underrated Malibu Ices (photographed above), another of my favorite spots in Westwood.

Despite the intense work load I contend with in every class, I have tried to delve in to campus life and L.A during my year abroad. Every week brings an exciting discovery and adds to the incredible memories which I will take with me back to London. I look forward to the opportunities and experiences which Spring Quarter and the rest of Winter Quarter will bring. Hopefully that includes more run-ins with James Van Der Beek in Westwood.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.