Kobe Bryant: Sidelined Until Further Notice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With the exciting, close win of the Los Angeles Lakers over the Golden State Warriors on April 12 came one of the most saddening injuries of the entire NBA season. Lakers star player, Kobe Bryant, suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon, an injury which will keep him off the court for six to eight months. Despite the severe injury, Bryant limped down the court to bank two additional free throws before departing to the locker room for his last game of the 2012-2013 season.

In spite of an all-star cast, featuring the Black Mamba himself, Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, Steve Nash, and Metta World Peace, the Lakers have faced a tremendous uphill battle to make it into the top 8-playoff bound spots this season. However, with Kobe’s injury, Laker fans are wondering whether it will even be worth it to make it to the playoffs if their star player is out of commission. Kobe has truly been an incredible force these last few games; on the Lakers’ Wednesday win over Portland, he played the entire forty eight minutes of the game—not such an easy challenge for a thirty-four year old.

A Saturday morning MRI confirmed the diagnosis, and Kobe immediately went into surgery. He is determined to recover as quickly as possible. In the meantime, Kobe will remain committed to his team and to his dynasty by attending games as a sit-in coach. He has taken to Facebook, Twitter, and his newly-started Instagram (follow @kobebryant) to keep fans updated on his condition and progress.

Fans have also taken to numerous social media sites to show their respect and prayers for Kobe’s quick recovery. Even fans of long-time rival teams are saddened by the news and have conveyed their hopes that Kobe will return to play next season.

The Black Mamba is truly one of the best players of all time. UCLA HerCampus wishes him a healthy and speedy recovery, as well as a successful return to the league. As he says it himself, “Mamba out”.

http://theaustintimes.com/2013/01/kobe-bryants-frustration-with-lakers-struggles-grows-this-isnt-working/

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/13/sport/kobe-bryant-injury/index.html

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.