Jake Davis ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Name & Year:  Jake Davis (Senior)
Age: 19
Major:English
Hometown:Sherman Oaks
Relationship Status: Sorry ladies, this one’ s taken.

World, watch your step, Jake Davis is about to make his move and his smooth diverse sound will conquer the charts as well as the hearts of many. He’s a 21st century musician with an old school flare, a presence that others gravitate towards, and an all around great guy. But I would not have discovered any of this, the first time we met, if I hadn’t given him a second chance. As fate would have it, I met Jake Davis as a would be suitor via the manipulation of my very clever suitemate Valerie. As far as first impressions go, I could not be more offended. Mr. Too Cool for school rock star, with the tats, the ripped jeans, and constant incessant drumming of counter tops and furniture alike. She couldn’t possibly have thought I’d go for this? As if that were not enough, there was the over the top use of the word “douche”, dropped once every 15 minutes it seemed, and the bad boy attitude just sealed it. Like one of those bros you spot at every party with the naïve girl in the halter-top, this kid just wasn’t going to cut it for me. He was all bad news, I had decided all too soon. Still, inexplicably, illusively, mysteriously- there was something curious about him that just caught your attention and got you involved. There was something there behind the ink, and hair, and clothes that needed to be discovered. What I found, was that I was a judgmental bitch because Jake Davis- the bad boy rock star- turned out to be one of the most kind hearted, relatable, hilarious people I’d ever meet at UCLA. I know, the bad boy with the heart of gold, really? Ridiculoooooooouse, as Jake would say with his classic trademark response. But this is just one cliché that works. He went from being that bro, to being my bro.  Someone who’s place I could crash at when I was tired, to walk me home late at night, who would come to give me classic words of advice such as “you’re putting the penis on the pedestal”. Having Jake Davis in my life brought me something no girl should ever go without, at least not in college, this being the bro experience. Because behind every good woman, is a good bro there to guide her through the troubles and dangers of college life. As an entire package of kind soul and cool, Jake Davis is definitely one of UCLA’s Campus Cutie’s.

What He’s Interested In:
I’m interested in music.  I write, compose, and record all genres of music.  As well as play most instruments, sing, and constantly try and get better at understanding audio science, technology, engineering, etc.  I’m a big nerd about it.  When I get interested in something, an instrument, a band, a phenomenon, I have to research everything about it.  I also like psychology, and biology.

Must listen to artist?
Hmm… Ellison Hall, The Beatles, Bon Iver, Guns N’ Roses, My Morning Jacket, The Four Seasons, Mozart, Frank Sinatra, Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Endless Hallway, Eminem, Secondhand Serenade, and of course, Vanishing Red.  It’s really hard for me to even pick just those few.  I really listen to everything.  And not in the way other people listen to “everything” (aka I listen to Kiss FM and KROQ!), I mean literally, all genres.  And I don’t just listen to them because I want to be a music snob who can say I like everything.  I’m just a fan of melody and rhythm, and to a mildly lesser extent, timbre, so it’s entertaining to figure out how every genre chooses to combine those 3 things.

Are there any artists you get inspiration from or base your music on?
 No one in particular.  Although I’d say I’m really influenced by my friends and local music in general.  It’s a shame the L.A scene died a few years ago when pay to play came out.

Is there any other talent you’d have an interest in pursuing?
It’d be sick to be really bitchin at surfing, the ocean is so beautiful but there doesn’t seem to be much to do in it.  Unfortunately, I’ve never had the opportunity to try.

Describe Yourself in Five Words:
I like things perfectly unbalanced.

Your Perfect Girl: 
Someone with a fat foot.

Any Deal Breakers?
They have to be willing to sing with me, regardless of ability, or no deal.

Any exciting plans for next year?
I might travel abroad.  I’m also going to be working on 3 different records with three different bands (one being my solo project).  I’ll shamelessly advertise the facebooks here, they all have music up:
Facebook.com/jakedavisband
Facebook.com/ellisonhall
Facebook.com/thesacks

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.