It’s Time We Talk About ‘Don’t Worry Darling’ (Spoiler Warning)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I’m not lying when I say I have been patiently waiting 2 years for Don’t Worry Darling to come out. If you know me, then you’re probably aware of my Harry Styles super-fan status, so when I learned about him starring in a psychological thriller, I absolutely lost it. 

And with the constant drama and PR nightmare that was this movie’s pre-release, the anticipation I had for the movie thickened. 

Before I get into it though, this is your personal last chance to STOP READING NOW if you do not want spoilers. The movie has been out for about 3 weeks now, but in case you haven’t had a chance to make it to the theater, go there first and meet me back here. 

The movie follows Jack Chambers and his wife Alice in a picturesque town reminiscent of the 1950s. Alice is a housewife while her husband Jack goes to work on “The Victory Project.”

Throughout the movie, Alice has “delusions” where she realizes this almost unreal life is not a true reality. She is influenced by her neighbor, Margaret, who has been chastised and called “ill” for her realization.

After a slow but steady lead-up, we learn that Alice has been placed in a simulation by her husband, and when he “goes to work every day,” he is actually going back into reality to make money to keep her there. 

In a twisted revelation, we see Alice handcuffed to her bed, with her eyes held open with metal contraptions. In the last 10 minutes of the movie, she kills Jack and escapes.

And now, my questions, because I have many.

The movie itself was cinematically beautiful. From the set design to specific camera shots to sound effects, it painted a scene of 1950s euphoria. Bright colors and classic cars made this world seem magical, hiding the darkness underneath. I especially appreciated the sounds used to elevate the scenes, cutting across the quietness of the town with the loud sizzle of the eggs in their daily breakfast.

The acting as well really elevated this movie. The movie had an all-star cast with amazing performances from Gemma Chan, Chris Pine and even Harry Styles did well in his first lead role. But, as many of us may have expected, Florence Pugh carried the performance. I was captivated by her acting and could not take my eyes off of her. Her role was crucial to making the movie work as a psychological thriller, and she delivered. 

Yet, despite the quality of production, I was still left with so many questions in regard to the storyline. For example, was Chan’s character planning on killing her husband, and did she play a role in creating the simulation? Or why was Styles getting promoted when he never really worked in the simulation to begin with?

More than anything, I’m left wondering what happens next. The ending of the film left A LOT up in the air, and based on the off-screen relationship between Pugh and Wilde, I doubt there will be a sequel. What happens to the rest of the wives? Do they make it out of the simulation? How does Alice adjust to the real world and how will she explain Jack’s death?

Don’t Worry Darling was a beautiful piece, and I definitely think it deserves a watch, but I hate to admit that it missed the mark on living up to its full potential. A shorter lead-up and more scenes after the escape could have solved this. Suffice to say, I suppose we’ll never know.  

Hi :) My name is Jade and I am a second year at UCLA! I am a double major in communications and cognitive science and I am super excited to be apart of Her Campus