Life > Experiences

It’s Time We Do More Than Just Recognize Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With the observation of Black History Month in place, it’s time we realize that some of us do nothing beyond recognizing its presence (something I’m guilty of as well!). The passing of Black History Month occurs every year, as it has for decades now, but education about why Black History Month is in place has barely changed. And since there is no formal institution in place to educate everyone on Black History Month, it’s up to us to find the correct resources to educate ourselves. 

By educating ourselves on Black history and what it stands for, we can come to learn of many prominent Black figures who have changed our society. We can learn of the people who successfully emerged through unimaginable pain and hardship in order to make this world a better place for everyone. We often recognize the inhumane treatment that African Americans suffer (something we should always call out) but overlook that Black history is much more than that — it includes beautiful, vast cultures of people with their own traditions, joy and history. The significance of Black History Month goes beyond mere recognition of African Americans and should be a time for us to come to understand that their culture and history have changed the trajectory of the United States. 

To educate ourselves there are many resources available, we just have to find them. I’ve done the hard work for you, so here are a few simple ways to learn about the history behind Black History Month

1. It’s Black History Month. Here are 3 things to know about the annual celebration
    1. This short article gives the history of the establishment of Black History Month and information on recent events. 
  2. The Hate U Give
    1. This is an amazing book written to give perspective on Black oppression and the day-to-day stereotypes we constantly ignore. Though the novel is fictional, it feels highly realistic, given recent events that have caused innocent Black people to lose their lives. 
  3. The Most Powerful Woman You’ve Never Heard Of
    1. If you are not one to enjoy reading, here’s an amazing video to learn about a prominent Black figure and activist, Septima Clark.

Beyond educating ourselves, here are some other activities you can participate in:

1. Support small Black-owned businesses
  2. Visit a Civil Rights Museum near you or view virtual tours
  3. Read books or poems from Black authors
  4. Take time to discuss the importance of Black history
  5. Educate your friends!

Black History Month is an amazing opportunity for us to dedicate some time to learn about African American history. So take this time to not only learn but also teach others about the vast history and involvement of Black people in this country and throughout the world.

Kajal is a second year political science major at UCLA . In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, and occasionally crocheting.