Life > Academics

It’s Okay To Fall Out of Love With Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I think a lot of us feel like we’re supposed to have life figured out the moment we step foot on a college campus. However, if you ask any upperclassmen, they’ll tell you that you’ll go through several major and career crises during your college career — and that’s perfectly okay. College is the first chance to really dive into the study of your choice, and along the way, you’ll discover a lot that you love and hate about it.

I entered UCLA as an English major, and as a freshman, I felt pretty certain that I wanted to stay in academia and go to graduate school because I loved literature so much. But after taking upper division classes and talking to professors about what exactly they do, I realized a life in academia wasn’t for me. I love my major, and I love the classes I take but I realized I couldn’t do this for the rest of my life. I wanted something else.

In sophomore year, I experimented with different minors and majors until I decided I would double major in English and Economics. Experiences outside of the classroom, like my job at a magazine, made me realize that I love writing, but the type of writing I wanted to do was outside of research and academia. I discovered I want to pursue a career in journalism.

My experience taught me that going in a different direction from what you planned is okay. Sometimes it takes getting invested in your major to realize that your original plan is something you don’t want. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you wasted your time if you end up changing your major or career aspiration. Every experience gives you something to learn, and every experience brings you one step closer to where you’re meant to be. Sometimes it takes your first internship or research position to realize that this isn’t what you want, and that’s okay.

So if you’re in a rut about what to do with your life, don’t worry. No one really knows what they’re doing. We’re all just doing our best. College is not the cutoff for when you need to figure out your life but a learning experience to guide you in the direction you’re supposed to go. Nothing in life goes exactly as planned, and that’s okay.

Louise is a junior double majoring in English and Economics. She loves reading contemporary fiction and making Spotify playlists.