“I’m A Mouse, DUH!”: Her Campus At UCLA’s Favorite Spooktacular Scenes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As Halloween rolls around the corner, I always need movie and show recommendations. I’m the indecisive friend who makes everyone else decide what to watch, otherwise we’ll be scrolling through Netflix for an hour. With the help of my Her Campus at UCLA girlies, I’ve compiled an amazing list of movies that are perfect for Halloween and fall season in general. Grab some popcorn, Trader Joe’s pumpkin treats and a PSL because you’ll definitely want to have a Halloween movie night after this read!

Immortal Favorites:

After extensive research (a google form), I gathered Her Campus at UCLA’s top 4 go-to Halloween movies. At number four we have none other than the classic Halloweentown. Not only does this amazing production bring us so much nostalgia, its funny yet cringey plot makes for a perfect girls night in watch. Some of our most loved scenes from Halloweentown are when the kids find their grandma’s book and the witch resembles the character Marnie. No spoilers, but this movie is a great little throwback moment. 

Our third favorite is Jennifer’s Body, which isn’t the most typical “Halloween” movie, but the gory monster aspect definitely ties into the genre. The possessed high schooler plot line is comedic yet scary which makes for the perfect Halloween movie! We specifically loved the scene when Megan Fox says “No, I’m killing boys” in response to when someone asks if she’s killing people. Her strut in the heart zip-up is by far the most iconic scene in the movie and will surely be a popular costume. 

At number two is Corpse Bride for obvious reasons. Tim Burton is the Halloween movie king, so it’s no surprise that this one is near the top! The animation, drama and plot line just ties together and assembles a very spooky and tragic film. Victor’s journey to the dead and meeting everyone is a staple Halloween scene and one of our all time favorites! This ghost story with connections to real-life is mesmerizing and the detailed characters have us in awe.  

Last but not least is the classic Hocus Pocus reigning as Her Campus at UCLA’s favorite Halloween movie. Nothing compares to the magical, hilarious yet eerie production of the original Hocus Pocus. Our favorite scene is when the three sister witches are dancing and singing while casting the spell of youth on the curious children. “I smell children” has become a widely used Halloween quote over the past several years, which perfectly captures the comical and spooky story.

More Mystical Recs:

We FEARED that you would want more recommendations! In case you beg to differ with our list of arguably the best Halloween movies to watch or if you’ve already watched them all, don’t worry, because our team has several other spine-tingling spooky season movies:

• Coraline (2009)
  • Monster House (2006)
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
  • Ready or Not (2019)
  • Practical Magic (1998)
  • Zombie Land (2009)
  • Twitches (2005)
  • Halloween (Michael Myers) (2007)
  • It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)

Sassy Spooky Scenes:

Even if you absolutely hate typical creepy Halloween movies, but want to get into the ghoulish spirit, we have our non-traditional favorites too! Throughout the history of shows and movies, Halloween scenes are always somehow incorporated into the plot, so here are some of the most memorable:

Mean Girls (2004): This movie is iconic on so many different levels, but the Halloween party throws it over the top. From Cady taking the whole costume thing too seriously as a zombie bride to Karen bedazzling a backwards K onto her chest, this movie makes for a great laugh. Our favorite quotes are definitely “I’m a mouse, duh!” when Karen Smith throws mouse ears on to make her costume, as well as “Halloween is the one day a girl can dress however she wants and no one can say anything about it”. Although Mean Girls isn’t necessarily a “Halloween” movie it definitely gets us in Her Campus as UCLA into the glamorous spooky mood! 

Legally Blonde (2001): My life long favorite movie would not be the same without her celebrated Halloween costume. When her nemesis seemingly kindly invites Elle to a fake halloween party, she shows up in an over-the-top pink bunny costume. Once she got some weird looks and left the place, she decided to get her life together for law school. This whole girl boss x halloween costume scene always ensures a good laugh for me!

Pretty Little Liars (2010): Being a mystery type show, the Halloween specials always make for a great treat (and some tricks)! This teen drama mixed with unexpected terror formulates super engaging Halloween episodes! Our favorite of the Halloween episodes is “This is a Dark Ride” in season 3. When Mona literally bets on a person’s life that Halloween is better than Christmas, she sets up for one ride of an episode. The unexpected appearance of The Queen of Hearts in this episode added a scary flare to the storyline and definitely had us ready to jump off the sofa. Pretty Little Liars has always been a slightly scary show, but the Halloween episodes are built to fearfully force you into the spooky spirit.

Now that you’ve got the rundown on our Halloween favorites at Her Campus at UCLA, sit back, relax and enjoy one of these recommendations this weekend! It’s the perfect way to stay in on a dark and scary night with some friends. Her Campus at UCLA wishes you all a spooktacular Halloween!

Hannah is a second-year Economics and Political Science major at UCLA, from Yuba City, California. She enjoys writing about a variety of topics from finance to up-and-coming trends! In her free time she loves baking, going to the beach, exploring the coffee shops of LA, and playing tennis.