I Went to the ‘Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life’ Premiere & After Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

My whole life, I have always been obsessed with Gilmore Girls. I grew up watching reruns on ABC Family (now Freeform) every day afterschool and now as a collegiette, I continue watching on Netflix every night after class. Gilmore Girls has been a big part of my life, so I’m sure you can tell how excited I was to go to the premiere… and the after party in Stars Hollow! So check out my adventures below:

Going to school at UCLA, the Bruin Regency Theater was always my go-to theater but on this night my favorite theater turned into “Black, White & Read Theater.” If you don’t remember, this is the name of the theater/book store from Gilmore Girls.

The theater was decorated all over with the “Black, White & Read” logo. 

Guests were also offered the Gilmore’s two favorite movie watching snacks- red vines and popcorn, which was decorated with the theater logo.

As we waited for the premiere to begin, we saw posters or ads from the different businesses in Stars Hollow. Then we were greeted by the Queen herself, Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino, who gave a short speech and introduced the first part of Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. Now, I won’t give you any spoilers, but I can tell you it was amazing. We watched the Winter episode and as a longtime fan, I can tell you I was happy with it. The writing was great and the acting was even better, seriously brought me to tears. There’s a lot of exciting stuff introduced in the Winter episode, but I don’t want to give too many spoilers. 

After the premiere, I attended the special VIP after party which was in Stars Hollow, aka UCLA. As I walked to class all week, I couldn’t hold in my excitement from watching them set up Stars Hollow in the middle of UCLA. It was truly an amazing to be able to see it in person. I think the production team did an amazing job recreating it.

They recreated Stars Hollow at UCLA for their Festival of the Four Seasons. If you remember, festivals are very big in Stars Hollow. This fan festival took place on Nov 19-20th, which was the two days following the premiere. Fans could sign up online to receive free tickets and experience Stars Hollow. They started the festival early, so cast and crew could also experience Stars Hollow. Fans were welcomed with the famous Stars Hollow sign and then the gazebo and other Stars Hallow tourist locations, such as Luke’s Diner, Ms. Kim’s Antiques, Taylor’s Soda Shop, and more!

First thing I did at the after party was grab some warm coffee at Luke’s Diner. 

Then I continued my photo-shoot throughout Stars Hollow. 

There were so many great spots for photo opps throughout Stars Hollow. They even decorated some areas with umbrellas to refer to Logan and Rory’s famous Life & Death Brigade stunt. 

The entire event was carefully planned out for crazy fans like me. That night, we ate and drank like a Gilmore. Guests were even served food in take-out boxes by waiters in Al’s Pancake World shirts.

Highlight of my night was seeing the entire cast on the red carpet and at the after party. I even got lucky enough to get photos with Logan (Matt Czuchry), Luke (Scott Patterson), Christopher (David Sutcliffe), and Lane (Keiko Agena). 

#TeamLogan If Rory doesn’t marry him than I will. 

Had to have some coffee with Luke.

Overall, this was probably the best day of my life. Can’t wait to watch the other 3 parts of Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life on Friday!

Sara Zaghi was the Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief of Her Campus at UCLA, which rose to the #1 chapter in the Her Campus Chapter Network of 370+ Campuses during her tenure, from 2015-2019. Zaghi is a self-proclaimed "Professional Fangirl” and currently works in entertainment and fashion publicity. In 2016, Sara was listed as one of Her Campus' Top 22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women. Check out Sara's College Girl's Travel Guides for Catalina Island, Las Vegas, New York, Napa Valley, Boston, and Chicago. Contact Sara via email: Sara_Zaghi@yahoo.com