This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Okay, so. Vibrators. I’m sure you know what they are, and have maybe even used one by now, which is awesome. A woman has to know her body, and it is empowering once you do. I was 21 the first time I ever had an orgasm, upon using a vibrator. Most of my girlfriends had experienced one by the time they were like, 17. Everyone is different, and I didn’t have a serious relationship until my senior year of college. If I had slept with anyone, he never made me orgasm because he just wasn’t that concerned about my pleasure, and I didn’t know him or myself well enough to protest. I think a lot of college women have been in this position.

My best friend would always tell me how highly she recommends using a vibrator, and that she had been using one for years. It really helped her get to know her body and what worked for her. My personal favorite vibrator-anecdote that she told me was about this guy she slept with who failed to give her an orgasm. She then went to the library to study, but was so dissatisfied that she walked home, masturbated with her vibrator and then went back to the library to study with a newly-cleared mind. Despite this fantastic vibrator endorsement, I never bothered to try it. I didn’t think I could give myself an orgasm. I tend to get too caught up in my head to just relax and allow myself to enjoy it. Again, I think this is another feeling a lot of young women have had.

When I was 21, I started dating someone that became my first serious boyfriend. When you get to that stage, your partner tends to be more concerned with how you feel, and I was really tired of hearing that every other young woman could orgasm since I had never experienced one myself. My boyfriend really wanted me to as well, and he would always ask me what he needed to do to make it happen. I just never had an answer for him. I finally bought a vibrator, and that Valentine’s Day, I had my first orgasm. 

After a little champagne, I was feeling bold and decided to use the vibrator during sex, which was the best idea I’d had in a while. The combination of the vibrator and penetration is pretty wild. Everyone is going to experience an orgasm differently, but my body got hot, my toes and nose tingled and there was an overwhelming amount of feeling. It was a little bit startling because I had not felt that way before. My boyfriend later said I looked absolutely bewildered in my eyes (lol). But I really was. It was empowering to finally feel that way. When I shared this story with my friends, they all said they love using a vibrator during sex and do so often. A couple of them told me that they have even started introducing it into hookups because it’s so effective.

So basically, from someone that found it very difficult to have an orgasm and was a little uncomfortable with the whole idea, I highly recommend buying a vibrator. You can buy one on Amazon. You don’t have to go into a sex shop :) Of course, use it and get to know your body. But I highly recommend using that thing the next time you have sex because the results are amazing. 

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.