element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How You Can Embrace The LGBTQ+ Community As A Christian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Although talking about the LGBTQ+ community in the context of Christianity was considered taboo for a long time, I have come across friends who have openly accepted who they are and publicly allowed themselves to love who they want to love. But as a Christian, I felt so confused because I was told that to love someone of the same sex was sinful. Honestly, I felt a little ashamed that I did not know anything about the salvation of my brothers and sisters who were in the LGBTQ+ community, so I looked into it. This is what I found:

In 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, the Bible says, “Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.” Those who are not children of God nor are willing to abide by His laws are told that they will not inherit the kingdom of Christ. Reading these verses may leave us feeling like there is no hope for those who sin. 

However, our God is forgiving, gracious, loving, and kind. In 2 Chronicles 7:14, it says, “If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” We are called to humbly and genuinely repent for our sins. We have hope through Christ who forgives us despite our sin. 

Although it is a sin to practice homosexuality, our LGBTQ+ friends are able to enter into eternal life with a forgiving and loving God who doesn’t forsake nor leave us behind. 

So, what can you do? 

Instead of belittling your LGBTQ+ friends, embrace them as God called for you to do. Love them as God loves them. He loves them as much as He loves you. Whether it’s homosexual sexual desire or heterosexual sexual desire, we are all tempted to sin. One desire is not more sinful than the other. In light of that, we should try to encourage each other and help each other to fight against our sinful desires. Regardless of their ethnicity, background or sexual orientation, we are all people made in the image of God and loved by God. 

To my brothers and sisters who may be struggling to find a community that will accept you for who you are and who you want to love, I hope that this will help you feel more at ease in knowing that there are people who love you and, more importantly, God loves you.

Lauren is a fourth-year Psychology major with a minor in Asian Languages at UCLA from Studio City, California. In addition to writing as a feature writer for Her Campus at UCLA, she loves reading for leisure, playing with her dogs, and watching The Office.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.