Life > Academics

How Transferring To UCLA From A Junior College Changed My Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Life feels hopeless, dreams are pointless, school is worthless. 

This was the mindset I found myself drowning in nearly two years ago as I prepared to attend college far, far away from UCLA. Unfortunately, my hopes of becoming a UCLA Bruin were halted months before when I opened up my application portal to an apologetic rejection letter on behalf of the Admissions Committee. And while I was forced to watch my friends and classmates commit to their own dream schools, I begrudgingly enrolled in one of the back-ups I had applied to that year. My future no longer seemed bright as I was about to move to a new place where I knew I didn’t belong. But everything changed mere weeks before the start of fall quarter, as a flier from my local community college arrived in the mail with my name written across the front in bright blue letters. 

I’m embarrassed to admit that as a senior in high school, I thought community college was beneath me. After taking years of honors classes, participating in three sports, and joining several leadership organizations, I believed my hard work and dedication were deserving of a four-year college rather than a junior college. Yet these convictions were altered almost immediately upon entering my two-year program as I became an aspiring advocate for the dismantling of society’s stigma against attending community college. Not only was Citrus College, my hometown’s local JC, welcoming of my aspirations to transfer to UCLA, but they provided infinite resources and opportunities to increase my chances of admission. I made many friends, joined the honor society and Speech Club, got a job as an on-campus tutor, and took enriching courses through the Honors Program that “prepared me for the next level,” as my professors used to say. When application season rolled around again, I felt more confident in myself than ever and was proud to tell others about my time as a Citrus College Fighting Owl. 

Of course, there were sleepless nights, long hours at work, and seemingly never-ending homework assignments, but this constant fight towards my dreams paid off. In April of 2021, I received my official acceptance letter into UCLA. Had I let my prejudice against community college reign over my decision-making, I never would have withdrawn from the four-year I didn’t belong at and eventually seen the day when my UCLA admissions portal opened to a “Welcome New Bruin!” congratulatory page. No risk, no reward, right?

Transferring to the No.1 public university was a daunting idea at first, and flash forward to my first few weeks in Westwood, my nerves were at an all-time high with school about to begin. Nagging questions wracked my mind incessantly: “Do I deserve to be here?” “Will the classes be too hard for me?” “Am I going to adjust well to in-person school after a year and a half of online learning?” There was too much uncertainty going into the new year for me to remain calm, but as it turns out, all of this worrying was for nothing. 

As I’m currently heading into the middle of my first quarter here, I can excitedly share that I love all of my classes and professors, have made many wonderful friends here in Westwood, and feel as if I’ve finally found where I belong. I’m a Bruin at heart and support the blue and gold with every fiber of my being, yet I still am a proud Fighting Owl walking through UCLA’s campus too. I’m proud of the path I’ve taken, and I can’t wait to see what these next two years have in store. 

All in all, never give up on your dreams, no matter how difficult, hopeless or unattainable they may seem. I am living proof that if there’s a will there’s a way. Go dream big dreams and change the world, I believe in you!

Grace LaPlante is currently a senior English major at UCLA—she’s a literature lover, music enthusiast and sports fanatic with dreams of traveling the world someday!