How To Make Winter Quarter Your Best Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I know I’m not the only one who is scavenging the internet for ways to get through the next quarter! If you’ve also tried all of the tips from the most popular YouTube videos and nothing has improved, then look no further. Having a good quarter consists of many factors, not just being more productive in school, so I compiled a list to give you the highlight reel:

1. Come In With A Positive Mindset

This first one might not be something you notice, but it is the most important way to improve your everyday life. All of us experience a little bit of burnout after coming back from winter break, so it can be hard to do your best. So instead of letting yourself stay down pick up a journal or start meditating. It is super important to prioritize your mental health, especially with the season and time change! Being in tune with yourself can help you make a conscious effort to smile, laugh and be more present which will make everything so much easier.

2. Prioritize Like It’s Nobody’s BUSINESS

Okay so not everything about making this your best quarter is about school, but when it’s time to buckle down, having your priorities straight is a must. Chances are there are things in your life that are more important than others, but what are they? Although I can’t make a list for you specifically, family, friendships, school and work are at the top of my personal list. After finding your own big four areas it is important to compile lists of your priorities within each category. For example, under the school category, there might be your everyday homework, tests and participation. I would organize those as tests being the most important and participation being the least. Finding out how much each of these is worth overall can help you organize what has to be done and what has a little bit of leeway.

high school musical 2 summer job?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Disney

3. Make Time To Move Your Body

This means something different to everyone. For some of us, it might look like going to the gym, and for others, it might be as simple as going for a morning walk. Either way, this practice is extremely important to allow you to feel motivated for the day and to keep yourself from being unproductive while still giving yourself a break from schoolwork. You are a priority and giving your body the love it needs every day is super important.

4. REMEMBER That Agenda Book They Gave Us Day One?

Yeah… I know some of us may have forgot about that, but it can be a life-saver when it comes to remembering what you need to do. This is another one of those things that is totally personal and isn’t one size fits all. Some people need one agenda book that plots out the days with times to remember everything, and others need one that overviews the upcoming month or week. For me, I have one agenda book for personal things that lets me organize months and weeks and an academic agenda book that lets me plan due dates in advance and make more detailed plans week by week. This system has saved me from missing assignments or even flaking out on friends countless times. I highly recommend using this awesome tool!

5. Last But Not Least, Invest in a Bento Box!

It doesn’t have to be fancy or even have several compartments, but I beg of you to get some type of container to store food for school. No matter how few classes I have, going to school can be exhausting, and I’ll be the first to admit I need something to spice it up. Not only is bringing your own food to campus cost-effective, but it also gives you the freedom to eat whenever you want and not have to wait in that insane twelve o’clock line at Panda! Also, bonus, you can learn new recipes with your friends and make food you actually like.

Being in college can be hard and coming back after seeing friends and family can be even harder. Making school fun for yourself and also making it count for the time you’re spending here is super important. It can definitely get overwhelming sometimes and that can be difficult, but breaking things down can help so much. Be sure to show yourself some love for everything you’ve accomplished so far this quarter. Hopefully, this list motivated you in time for finals, and you can revisit these tips to get yourself pumped for winter quarter too!

Kailey is an English major at UCLA and has her sights set on writing pieces that connect people to nature. Her main goal in her articles is to inspire people to be authentic and chase their passion.