Wellness

How To Stop Basing Your Values In Other’s Opinions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As we all know and have experienced, peer and societal pressures are real. Now, I’m not referencing experiences such as your grandma trying to pawn off some of her chocolate chip cookies to you, I’m talking about how you alter your personality, mediums of expression and overall beliefs of the world around you to please those in your inner circle. We are all unique individuals. Why should we be forced to morph with the pack to feel more stable when we are all destined to push the boundaries and take risks?

lonely woman looking out a window
Photo by Cosmic Timetraveler from Unsplash

I can’t say I have always strayed away from following others. In high school, I found I was constantly altering the words that came out of my mouth or the way I dressed because I was afraid I wouldn’t be accepted. This then transformed to me losing sight of who I was at heart and being embarrassed to explore passions I was interested in. Something needed to shift but I didn’t know how to do it.

Then, the last year of high school came. After a stressful college application period and leaving an unhealthy relationship, I started to not care what others thought. For the first time in my life, I wasn’t on a journey to please my boyfriend or high level figures in my life, but rather, I wanted to do what was best for me. I slowly began to realize that involving myself in activities that brought me joy began to attract more like-minded individuals. Over time, I began to develop new friendships and chase different opportunities that aligned with my interests. I can tell you from the bottom of my heart that this was one of the most liberating moments in my life. 

If you find that you are basing your values of yourself to fit in, you may not be surrounding yourself with the right people. Ask yourself, are you truly happy when you are around these people? If the answer is no, start looking for those who are confident in themselves and who not only understand, but accept who you are. 

Girl holding heart in sunset
Photo by Hassan OUAJBIR from Pexels

To stop changing yourself for others is simple: just stop listening. If an opinion about something you do is not bringing you joy, just walk away. That’s it. It’s that simple. By walking away, you create space to fill it with something that will bring bliss into your life. Whether it’s a new hobby, working out, dressing differently or something else, find an activity that makes you shine! 

At the end of the day, your personal happiness is rooted in your opinion of yourself. How you think of yourself is what matters the most. Life is supposed to be enjoyed. Be proud for waking up and doing all that you do no matter how small or large the feat may be. Allow yourself to truly be who you are and happiness will come.

Ava Burford is a junior at UCLA. She is passionate about uplifting others through her writing, philanthropic work and blog. She is apart of the sorority Pi Beta Phi and enjoys running and being with her family in her free time.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.