This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It seems like nowadays, everywhere we go, someone’s outfit is head-to-toe neutral colors. In the fashion world, neutrals have been indirectly embedded into almost every recent trend- but what is the secret behind neutrals? And why is everyone so obsessed all of a sudden? In my opinion, the answer is rather simple: they is easy, they go with everything and if styled properly, they still catch people’s eyes. Essentially, neutrals are an all inclusive fashion trend that allow people to bring out their own unique style.

3 sweaters on white chair
Photo by rocknwool from Unsplash

When it comes to fashion, the first instinct is to have a cohesive look that goes well with accessories, hair, make up and so much more. The perks of neutrals are that they match with everything. Any type are perfect for any event, whether it be monochrome sweatpants and hoodie, or black blazer with a tan body suit for nicer events. Neutrals are not only comfort colors, but they can make someone feel chic and put together in the simplest way. Currently, it seems as though beige and browns are a major staple in the fashion community. Entering this holiday season, pairing beige pants with a black turtleneck and a leather jacket can be the perfect restaurant outfit. Or, perhaps you opt for an oversized dark brown sweater dress with black booties. Nonetheless, both can be comfortable and stylish. The other bonus with neutrals is that they allow us to be playful and create unique looks. Many enjoy styling their basic white tees and black jeans with chunky jewelry or colorful sneakers or heels. Overall, neutrals are versatile, and they can be anyone’s best friend.

woman shopping for clothes in store
Photo by Burst from Pexels

There are other benefits to wearing neutrals other than looking great walking down the street. The neutrals trend is an all inclusive trend: it fits everyone, it matches with everyone’s unique style, and it lessens the tendency to compare your fashion look to others. Also, it can reduce anxiety. Many people often worry about what they are wearing to a dinner party, lunch with friends or even an important meeting, but with neutrals, you can layer or have stand alone pieces that portray your personality while looking appropriate and approachable. Once a trend dies down, we often keep those old articles of clothing deep in our closet, always wondering if we should donate or throw them out, but neutrals are timeless. They can forever remain in our closet and be incorporated with any future trend. 

Vogue Magazine Ljubljana, Slovenia
Photo by Content Pixie from Unsplash

Fashion is an investment, and as consumers, we want something that lasts a long time, that feels and looks good on our bodies and makes a statement. Simplicity is key and will always persist through every generation of fashion. Neutrals will forever be a layer embedded in future trends because they promote individuality, ease, comfort and style in one.

Yasmin is a second year student at UCLA. She is majoring in Psychobiology and minoring in Global Health. Other than being involved in Her Campus, she does research at the Semel Institute in Los Angeles and is a member of Flying Sams. She loves reading, binge watching Netflix shows, and painting (even though she isn't great).
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.