Life > Experiences

How Moving To College Strengthened My Relationship With My Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

My sister and I are only four years apart in age, and ever since we were little, we have gotten along. We have been through everything together and then some. When it was time for me to move to college, I was so scared and sad to be away from my little sister because I thought that would make us drift apart.

However, that was not true at all for us. As a matter of fact, moving away has made me grow so much closer with my sister. We are no longer in an awkward stage like we once were when she still wanted to play with Bratz but I did not. Now, I am 19 and she is 15, and we both understand that we are getting older and can rely on each other for anything. 

On top of this, even though we do not talk or text all the time, whenever we do it is always for a long time. It seems like we never run out of things to talk about, and I never feel uncomfortable with her. I understand her and she understands me, and that is the best thing anyone can ask for. Additionally, because I do not get to see her often while being at school, it feels a bit more special whenever I do get to come home. Every time I come home, we just sit in her room and talk about anything and everything. We also binge a lot of Netflix and laugh at the top of our lungs.

My sister is my best friend and I thought that once I started school, things would change. They have, but it is only for the better. What was supposed to bring us into an awkward stage of different interests, brings us into a comfortable space where we can just have a good time.

Genessee (Gen-eh-see) is a second year, non-transfer senior majoring in English at UCLA. During her free time she loves to read, write, and dance. Currently she is a feature writer with HerCampus UCLA, writer for the UCLA VDay Coalition, and treasurer of Grupo Folklórico de UCLA. You can contact Genessee at genfloressantos@gmail.com