Wellness

How To Jumpstart 2021 And Make It Your Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

We made it! We beat 2020, one of the most unpredictable and emotionally challenging years we have had. We have endless opportunity ahead of us; we should celebrate!

Unsplash/ Thomas Park

While the start of a new year should be a happy opportunity to forge a new path for ourselves, we must not forget the circumstances that challenged and strengthened us over the past year. Never again will we be utterly surprised by a global moment that stops the world. We are now supplied with skills and knowledge about how to not only get through but thrive during trying times. 2020 was the year we learned to take a step back and enjoy the company of those closest to us. Even though we were all impacted by the pandemic, it affected each and every one of us differently. Some of us couldn’t have a college graduation, others lost their jobs or family members, others couldn’t and still can’t see some of their loved ones. No matter how it impacted you, you have learned from your experience. 

Woman in white shirt working
Photo by Bruce Mars from Unsplash

We have adopted skills to overcome these problems and keep living our lives. We cannot forget 2020. We must accept it and use it to our advantage to keep moving forward and to keep growing as individuals. 

John Arano H4I9G
Jade Stephens / Unsplash

2021 is the year where you learn to keep overcoming hardships. This is the year where you put all your skills into practice and keep going! Keep running and push for the longer distance. Keep painting to capture the perfect image. Keep cooking until you master the Baked Alaska. Keep dreaming, imagining, thinking, learning and most importantly, living. This is the year that we keep going. As we have learned in 2020, obstacles will come in our path. It is up to us whether we let them completely stop us or see them as just another hurdle that we need to jump over. 2020 was challenging. 2021 will have challenging moments too but who’s to say it will overpower us?

Ava Burford is a junior at UCLA. She is passionate about uplifting others through her writing, philanthropic work and blog. She is apart of the sorority Pi Beta Phi and enjoys running and being with her family in her free time.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.