Life > Experiences

How I Learned To Finally Love Myself During My Senior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

When I was a freshman, I was so eager to meet everyone, go to parties, join clubs, participate in rush and take advantage of all that college has to offer. I met people within the first weeks who I thought would be my best friends for the rest of my life, I joined clubs I thought I would pursue all four years of college and even joined a sorority that I considered my end all be all. But, turns out none of what I thought turned out to be true. I now consider many different people some of my best friends at school, I joined a club half way through college that has forever changed my college experience in the best way possible, and I have ended up not being the typical sorority girl I once thought I was. 

People and things change, but most importantly, you as a person change. Being all the way across the country, surrounding myself with new people and places, my identity went through a few crises throughout my four years of college. But after I saw past the real side of certain people, learned to stand up for myself, and pursued things I really wanted with trial and error, I am so proud of the person I am starting my senior year as. 

To the year of last, firsts. Although it may be scary beginning to look for jobs and navigate the real world, I am excited for this last first day of school because I know that I am going into it surrounded by people who make me feel good, extracurriculars that make me happy, and most importantly, as a girl that is way more confident in what she wants than the girl that walked into her first day of class three years ago. 

My goal this year is to try not to focus too much on the so called “lasts.” Although I am both excited and nervous for what my life after college holds, I want to focus solely on the now. The late nights hanging out with friends, exploring LA, walking around the beautiful UCLA campus, and so much more. Now being confident and knowing who I am and what I want, I cannot wait for what this year has to hold. 

So for you freshmen, don’t be scared if you don’t make the most amazing friends in your first few weeks of school, or get dropped from the sorority you want. Through trial and error, and always pushing forward, you will find your place at UCLA. 

Alyssa is the Senior Editor of the UCLA Chapter of Her Campus. She is a 4th year Communication Studies major and Film, TV, and Media minor. In her free time, Alyssa loves working out, going to tons of concerts, and binging reality TV episodes. Contact Alyssa via email: alyssabonchick@me.com