Function of Beauty
Function of Beauty
Original photo by Madeleine Bokan / Original Illustration for Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

How I Keep My Bleached Hair Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I have finally come up with a hair care routine that keeps my hair healthy and strong. Keep in mind that everyone’s hair is different, but this routine is what works for my thick and wavy hair:

Step 1: Olaplex 3

If you haven’t heard of Olaplex, you’re missing out. Olaplex has a variety of products ranging from numbers zero through seven. I use Olaplex No. Three because it’s been recommended to me by multiple hairstylists. I use No. three specifically because it’s meant for damaged hair. Olaplex recommends using one through three for ultimate results, but No. three works perfectly well for me. 

The directions say to rinse your hair in water and towel dry it, so that’s what I do. Because the bottles are a little expensive and small, I section out my hair to make the most of my product. A little goes a long way, so I use a dime-sized drop per section. I leave the Olaplex on for 15 minutes before hopping in the shower.

Step 2: Shampoo

Rinse the Olaplex with the shampoo of your choice. I like to buy hair products that are at least more than $15 because quality products tend to be more expensive. Also, I use very little product per shower, so I can make my products last.

However, if you’re on a budget, I recommend the Love Beauty And Planet Blooming Color Shampoo and Conditioner. This brand is vegan, cruelty-free, and environmentally conscious. They have a variety of products, but I use the Blooming Color one because it’s for dyed hair. Because I have dyed hair, I add a little of my hair dye into my shampoo, so that I’m replenishing the color as I wash my hair. 

Step 3: Hair Mask

Many people have different suggestions on when to include a hair mask in your shower routine, but I prefer to do so after I’ve rinsed my shampoo. Most of the research I’ve done says that your hair follicles open after shampooing, so it’s best to apply a mask that will fill your follicles with nutrients. 

I apply the Shea Moisture Strength + Color Care Treatment Masque with Purple Rice Water all over my hair. However, I have found that it’s best to avoid my roots because they’re the healthiest part of my hair, so they feel greasy after I rinse out the mask. I prefer to focus on the areas of my hair that have been bleached the most and the ends. I leave the mask on for 10 minutes.

Step 4: Conditioner

Once I’ve rinsed out my mask, I apply the conditioner that matches my shampoo and leave that in for 10 more minutes. Once again, I focus on the ends of my hair and the bleached areas. I normally let products sit on my hair for 10 minutes because it’s what has led to healthier hair. After I rinse my conditioner out, I’m ready to step out of the shower.

Maintenance Outside of the Shower: 

If you prefer not to add dye to your conditioner, I would recommend the Overtone Coloring Conditioner for your hair shade. I use this once I notice my hair has started to fade. 

Another option you could consider is the Overtone Daily Conditioner that you can use whenever you wash your hair. However, the Daily Conditioner is just to maintain your hair color whereas the Coloring Conditioner has more pigment to redye hair. 

Also, I love curling and straightening my hair, so I recommend purchasing a heat protectant to apply to your hair before applying heat on it. I currently use the Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer for Hair every time I apply heat to my hair. Regardless of the product you use, ALWAYS use a heat protectant before applying heat to your hair. 

My hair routine requires a lot of steps and a lot of time, but I’ve seen great results. I highly recommend looking into some of these products or at the very least, looking into different hair products that might help your hair look its best.

Allison is a feature writer at UCLA who loves hanging out at the beach and eating any kind of dessert.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.