Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How Greta Gerwig’s Film “Little Women” Teaches Us To Not Settle Just Because We Are Lonely

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With the month of February well underway, the decorations for Valentine’s Day have been out since New Year’s Day celebrations ended. When Valentine’s Day hits, it is not unusual for the single folks to feel lonely. However, just like Jo from Little Women, do not settle for less just because you are lonely. Keep in mind that there will be spoilers from Little Women ahead!

If you watched Little Women, then you are bound to remember Jo’s monologue in the attic. Jo is deeply regretting her decision to reject Laurie because she knows that the love that he feels for her is genuine, and she desperately wants to love him in the same way. She says, “Women have minds, as well as just heart; ambition and talent, as well as just beauty. And I’m so sick of people saying love is all a woman is fit for…But I’m so lonely.” She was willing to settle for Laurie’s love even though she did not love him beyond a platonic level.

Being single is something that should not be taken for granted. Not only are you able to work on yourself and figure out who you are as a person, but you can also do so to become a better partner in the future. Would you want to be with someone you love and someone who loves you rather than someone who is only with you because they are lonely? Good things come from patience, and you (and your future partner) will thank you for waiting.

Lauren is a fourth-year Psychology major with a minor in Asian Languages at UCLA from Studio City, California. In addition to writing as a feature writer for Her Campus at UCLA, she loves reading for leisure, playing with her dogs, and watching The Office.