Style

How Forever 21 Ruined My Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

After watching and obsessing over the Mamma Mia prequel this summer, I decided that my besties and I would be the Super Trouper girls for Halloween. I spent the following two months sending them screenshots and links to the “Mamma Mia” pants, contemplating which ones to order. 

I finally settled on a cute and cheap pair from Forever 21 and ordered it a month in advance. This was going to be the year that I actually planned ahead for Halloween instead of digging through my closet last minute for cat ears or a fun hat.

I was extremely excited and tore apart the package when my pants finally arrived, but sadly the pants did not fit me. It turns out Forever 21 does not know what the proper pants sizes are for a small, medium, or large and sent XXS size pants labeled as a M. After spending two hours on the phone with customer service reps overseas, I managed to get them to send me a new pair in the correct size.

I spent the next few weeks praying they would arrive in time for Halloweekend and all of my festivities, but sadly the jeans did not make it. So once again, I dug through my closet, put on a “Cat in the Hat” hat with a simple black dress and called it a night. 

A few days later my pants finally arrived, except they were in the wrong size and the wrong color – just my luck! Well, Mamma Mia…Here we go again.

While Forever 21 ruined my Halloween, I learned an important lesson: sometimes you have to let things go with the flow, even if it’s hard for a micro-manager like me. It is almost impossible to actually plan a Halloween costume ahead of time. Next year, I’m just going to give in and order a variety of animal ears for my girl gang.

Sara Zaghi was the Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief of Her Campus at UCLA, which rose to the #1 chapter in the Her Campus Chapter Network of 370+ Campuses during her tenure, from 2015-2019. Zaghi is a self-proclaimed "Professional Fangirl” and currently works in entertainment and fashion publicity. In 2016, Sara was listed as one of Her Campus' Top 22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women. Check out Sara's College Girl's Travel Guides for Catalina Island, Las Vegas, New York, Napa Valley, Boston, and Chicago. Contact Sara via email: Sara_Zaghi@yahoo.com