How To Celebrate Your 21st Birthday In A Pandemic

If you’re like me, you’ve already celebrated at least one birthday during the pandemic. My 20th birthday was fun and special thanks to my family, but I was hoping it would be the only birthday I’d celebrate in quarantine.

That wish was unfortunately not granted, so I compiled a list of tips to make your 21st birthday special while remaining COVID-19 conscious:

1. 1. Create Your Own Club

Lindsay Thompson-Music Festival Miami Ultra Lights Stage Concert Balloons Music Edm

One thing I disliked about parties and events was that they often played music I didn’t enjoy. Seize this opportunity to create your own club at home with music you love, and have a dance party with yourself, roommates or family! 

Create a playlist for your special day with all your favorite songs! Get decorations and maybe some lights to make the room feel a little more lively.

2. 2. Cocktails At Home

Fruity Drinks

Be your own bartender or have one of your roommates play the role. Find a list of your favorite drinks online or new cocktails you might want to try and make them at home! 

3. 3. Eat A Fancy Meal

A man holding two plates of food; there is egg, a salad of some kind, and what looks to be potato and bacon.

I highly recommend that you eat before any quarantine partying begins. Because it’s your special day, you should make this an extra special meal. Enjoy your favorite food to add extra joy to the day, because who doesn’t love food?

4. 4. DESSERT

Birthday Cake for my 20th birthday

One of the best things about birthdays is the dessert. Whether you’re a pie girl or a cake girl, you MUST have some sort of dessert on your birthday. If you live alone, this is a perfect opportunity to light your candles and have friends and family call you to wish you a happy birthday.

5. 5. Movie/TV Show Night

netflix logot on tv

If you aren’t a person who likes to drink and dance around, you could also take this day to relax. We all have busy lives, so it’s important to take a day here and there to fully take care of yourself. Watch your favorite TV show with friends on Teleparty or on Zoom and bring out your favorite snacks (or cake).

Regardless of what you choose to do, make sure that this special day is all about you! Focus on yourself!