This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If you’re like me, you’ve already celebrated at least one birthday during the pandemic. My 20th birthday was fun and special thanks to my family, but I was hoping it would be the only birthday I’d celebrate in quarantine.

That wish was unfortunately not granted, so I compiled a list of tips to make your 21st birthday special while remaining COVID-19 conscious:

Create Your Own Club

One thing I disliked about parties and events was that they often played music I didn’t enjoy. Seize this opportunity to create your own club at home with music you love, and have a dance party with yourself, roommates or family! 

Create a playlist for your special day with all your favorite songs! Get decorations and maybe some lights to make the room feel a little more lively.

Cocktails At Home

Be your own bartender or have one of your roommates play the role. Find a list of your favorite drinks online or new cocktails you might want to try and make them at home! 

Eat A Fancy Meal

I highly recommend that you eat before any quarantine partying begins. Because it’s your special day, you should make this an extra special meal. Enjoy your favorite food to add extra joy to the day, because who doesn’t love food?

DESSERT

One of the best things about birthdays is the dessert. Whether you’re a pie girl or a cake girl, you MUST have some sort of dessert on your birthday. If you live alone, this is a perfect opportunity to light your candles and have friends and family call you to wish you a happy birthday.

Movie/TV Show Night

If you aren’t a person who likes to drink and dance around, you could also take this day to relax. We all have busy lives, so it’s important to take a day here and there to fully take care of yourself. Watch your favorite TV show with friends on Teleparty or on Zoom and bring out your favorite snacks (or cake).

Regardless of what you choose to do, make sure that this special day is all about you! Focus on yourself!

Allison is a feature writer at UCLA who loves hanging out at the beach and eating any kind of dessert.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.