Hometown Hero: Nathan Brucher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

In anticipation of what is expected to be one of the summer’s best new films, Terminator Genisys, we’ve searched all over for a local cutie that could be counted on to defeat the T-1000, and we found one! Meet this week’s campus cutie – Nathan Brucher, a third year Cognitive Science major from Orange, CA. Ready to take on any mission he encounters, Nathan definitely has what it takes to be this university’s hero!  

1. What extracurricular activities are you involved in at UCLA?

I am involved in Active Minds, a club that helps promote mental health on campus. Additionally, I am a member of the Regents Scholar Society and the Cognitive Science Student Association.

2. If you could have any superpower what would it be?

I think it would have to be controlling time. Time travel is the most overpowered super power. You could stop things before they happen. Also, if you mess up your test, let’s just say infinite retakes is better than studying. Not that I’d even need to worry about that if I could control time.

3. What do you like to do in your free time?

What free time? Just kidding. In my free time, I like to spend time reading books. I just finished Catch 22 – shoutout to Joseph Heller. I’m also a huge soccer fan so I love to go to the pub and watch games. Go Arsenal! Go USA!

4. What is your favorite movie?

I love any kind of action movie. My favorite movie I’ve seen recently has to be Mad Max: Fury Road. It’s just one long action scene with crazy car chases and fights. I also love the classic Terminator 2 with Arnold. “Hasta la vista, baby!”

5. What are your summer plans?

I’m staying over at UCLA this summer to conduct research on human memory. I’ll also be learning to live in an apartment and cook for myself. I foresee many In-N-Out trips this summer.

6. Tell me about your own “hero” moment. 

I actually got to be a “hero” on campus my freshmen year. My friends and I were walking past an apartment and noticed a flame in the window. We saw smoke and knew something was wrong. My friends went to pull the fire alarm, and I flagged down a maintenance man who entered the apartment and put out the fire coming from an unattended stove. I’m still waiting for my hero’s medal.

7. What would you do if a robot attack occurred?

If there was a robot attack, I’d probably be the one responsible for it. My major studies artificial intelligence. I would probably be one of the scientists responsible. Hopefully the robots would treat me as their God.

8. If the world was ending and you could only take three things with you, what would they be?

I would take a towel, an umbrella, and my bathing suit, and wait it out at the beach.

9. What is the most terrifying thing you have ever encountered?

Nobody ever believes me about this, but one time I sneezed out a spider. I felt a really bad tickle in my nose and let it blow. I looked down at the aftermath and I saw a spider crawling around. It was one of the most surreal and terrifying moments of my life.

10. What are you looking forward to most this summer?

No finals. Pool parties. Sunshine. Making money. Living in LA. This is going to be a very busy summer for me, but I’m excited and grateful for the opportunities available to me.

Christina is a second-year Psychology major. She loves Netflix, chocolate, and exploring new places.