High Heeled Hazard!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Nothing pulls an outfit together for a night out on the town like a pair of gorgeous five-inch pumps. As cute as these shoes may be, there are many health hazards that we should be aware of.

Regarding posture, when you wear heels, your foot is pointed down and thus the forefoot carries a lot of pressure, which causes the body to lean forward and stray from its natural position. This forward lean also changes the natural shape of the spine and can thus lead to serious back problems in the future.

I don’t know about you but I always think it’s amusing to watch people walk in heels because it looks so odd when the knees are bent more so than usual. This is actually a result of the heels and it places a lot of strain on the knees, which weakens them tremendously. This increased pressure can even lead to osteoarthritis!

Many of us have probably had our clumsy moments in high heels. The heel itself is usually really thin which makes it difficult for us to balance ourselves, often leading to those embarrassing face planting moments. (This is a definite bummer because somehow all the cute pumps always have such skinny heels!)

So next time you’re about to step out in your cutest black peep toe pumps, give it a second thought and keep these risk factors in mind! 

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.