college parties?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
college parties?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
NETFLIX

Here’s Why You Need To Be Listening To Chappell Roan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Let’s be real: pop music is back and better than ever! And as a pop girlie myself, this couldn’t be better news. So for all the fellow pop girlies out there, let me put you on to the best pop album of 2023: The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess. It randomly popped up in my Apple Music suggestions and let’s just say there are two versions of me: the me I was before listening to this album and the me after listening. If you haven’t heard of Chappell Roan yet, I’m hoping this news will change your life the way it’s changed mine. 

For starters, this album has been in the works since 2020, and it’s so clear that it’s a project made with love and care. Chappell’s sound is so singular in her ability to go from the perfect poppy club banger to a gut-wrenching ballad in the span of two tracks. She’s also got an incredible aesthetic that she COMMITS to, which is so nice to see. Sometimes a girl just has to put on a full face of makeup and a sparkly outfit!

And for all the Olivia Rodrigo fans out there, I’m positive this album will resonate with you. The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess is produced by Dan Nigro, the same person who produced both GUTS and SOUR. It’s rare that a producer can make three perfect albums in such a short time span, and yet here she is! Chappell is also the opener for most of Olivia’s GUTS tour (except for the LA shows, because apparently the universe hates me and doesn’t want me to have fun).

What I find most refreshing about Chappell Roan’s music is her undeniable writing prowess. She manages to make the most absurd lines like “get it hot like Papa John’s” feel perfect for the moment. Her versatility makes her the perfect soundtrack for when you’re getting ready to go out or when you really want to get in your feels. With just a cowbell and a story of a horrific first date, she leaves me captivated with every note. I still am amazed every time I listen to the genius that is “Red Wine Supernova”.

If you’re searching for your newest pop obsession, look no further than Chappell. She’s quickly made her way to the top of my favorites list, and I can only hope to share her talent with as many people as possible. There are few joys in life better than discovering one of your new favorite artists, and Chappell Roan could definitely be yours! If I were you, I would get on this train now so you can say you knew her before she was a mega famous star — because at this point, it’s inevitable.

Kelly is a second-year Communications major at UCLA from Pasadena, California. During her free time, she can usually be found lost in a book, grabbing a coffee, or obsessing over the latest reality TV show.