My Honest Thoughts On The Newest Fast And Furious Movie: Fast X

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Spoiler Alert!

This month has brought two big movies that I had been waiting for: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3 and Fast X. I am super happy that Fast X has finally been released in theaters, and you bet that I was watching it on the big screen opening day. I am happy to say that the film did not disappoint. In fact, it was awesome! The movie had a little bit of everything, from love to suspense to sadness to laughter to, of course, action.

I watched Fast X twice in theaters because I am a huge fan of the Fast and Furious franchise. It’s crazy to think that the first Fast and Furious movie came out in 2001. These movies have been going strong with more than 20 years of production. Spoiler alert! It seems like they’re not stopping at number 10 which is great news for me. I grew up watching these movies with my dad, so they hold a special spot in my heart. We watched this most recent installment together with my sister and had a great time, so if any families are looking for a family action movie, then this is one of them! 

There was a lot going on in the movie, but I want to emphasize the three main points that stood out to me. 

Non-Stop Action 

Starting off with the most obvious point: this movie was full of action! The only moment there wasn’t anything going on was at the beginning. But other than that, there was no pause. As I mentioned before, I have seen all of the movies in this franchise, and I think this one has the most action out of all of the films. I definitely felt like it was too much at one point; however, the funny moments made up for it. 

One thing I observed was that everyone kind of separated throughout the movie. All of the characters were dealing with their own problems. Essentially, they were all trying to help protect Dominic Toretto’s child, Brian, but were caught up in different obstacles. I’d say that was something new compared to what they usually do. I felt like this story structure created more suspense, making me constantly ask, “What is going to happen?” 

Another thing I love about these movies is the places they travel. The scenes took place this time in Rome, Brazil, Antarctica and California, so that was a nice variety to see. It’s just a lot of things that happened, so you need to see it when you can! But this brings me to my next point. 

the ending

The most frustrating part of this movie was the ending. Here’s why. It finishes with a cliffhanger which is a bummer because now we have to wait for the next film. But on the other hand, it makes me happy to know that the beloved series is not entirely done! I can’t say much here without spoiling it, so all I can advise everyone to do is to watch the movie in order to understand my frustration!

some of the previous cast returns

This has to be the most exciting part of this movie! Some of the old cast from the previous movies return, which is something I did NOT see coming since they had supposedly “died.” I don’t want to spoil it too much (even though I probably already did), but Gal Gadot and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson will return for the next movie! It’s nice to see them bring back the original cast, even though it might not make sense how they faked their death. Nonetheless, it works and it’s nice to see them again be reunited. There aren’t a lot of details about the next movie, so all we can do is wait and see what surprises they have in store for us!

Overall, I give the movie a 10 out of 10. I enjoyed it a lot and definitely recommend others to watch it if they love action movies. You don’t have to watch all nine movies in order to understand this one, but things would make more sense if you could. Keep in mind this movie is about two hours and a half so plan accordingly. Lastly, have fun and I hope you all enjoy it with your family!

Maria Alfaro is a fourth year student at UCLA majoring in Sociology and minoring in Spanish. She joined HerCampus at UCLA in 2021 and ever since has been able to do what she enjoys; write and share her stories with everyone. Her love for journalism grows with each story she gets to write. She loves to meet new people and learn new things. In her free time you can find her exploring the city of LA, dancing, binge-watching, blogging or relaxing.