Style > Fashion

5 Iconic Halloween Costume Ideas Inspired By 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

2021 has been an exciting year of pop culture from new entertainment, new artists and new fashion. There is so much variety when it comes to choices to draw inspiration from for this year’s Halloween costumes! Here are five DIY ideas inspired by this year’s popular TV shows:

The Guards from Squid Game

Over the past month, almost everyone has binge-watched Squid Game on Netflix. It’s all about a game to compete for money, but at what cost? You and your friends can dress up as the guards this Halloween. Pair a red hoodie or jacket with red sweats and black face masks, black gloves and black boots.

Wanda from WandaVision

WandaVision was the first Marvel TV series to be released on Disney+ this year! Wanda is our go-to inspiration for a devil costume featured in the Halloween-themed episode of the show. To get this look, pair a red dress with a red cape, red headband or horns and red gloves. Wear a red lip to finish off the look!

Loki from Loki

It was about time the God of Mischief got his own show! Loki, our favorite anti-hero, is taken to the TVA as a result of disrupting the timeline. To pull off this look, match a beige romper or jumpsuit with a black choker.

still from disney\'s loki
Marvel Studios
A character from Gossip Girl (reboot)

The highly anticipated Gossip Girl reboot brought back the preppy, edgy and designer fashion of the original show. Style your inner Upper East Sider by dressing up a school uniform with a cute purse, heeled boots and elegant jewelry. Add a headband to channel your inner queen bee.

evan mock thomas doherty emily alyn lind eli brown jordan alexander savannah smith zion moreno?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Karolina Wojtasik/HBO Max
Pogues from Outer Banks

With the release of the second season this year, Outer Banks has resurfaced as one of our favorite shows. This laid-back, beachy look is perfect for any last-minute costume. Pull on a pair of jean shorts, cropped t-shirt or tank top and headband to pull of this effortless look.

Almost all of these costumes can be made out of clothes and accessories you may already have at home! Hope these inspired you to transform into your favorite TV characters this Halloween!

Manal is a junior at UCLA studying molecular and cell biology. In her free time, she enjoys reading and traveling. She also loves art, food, and fashion.