Style

Help the Earth and Look Good Doing It By Practicing These 3 Habits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Sustainable fashion is so much more accessible than you would think. The key to curating an eco-friendly wardrobe lies in the mantra that you learned in elementary school: reduce, reuse and recycle. By buying less, integrating pre-loved pieces into your closet and repurposing worn-out clothing, you can significantly reduce your environmental impact.

Habit 1: Reduce

The logic here is simple. The less you buy, the less you waste. Challenge yourself to shop more methodically: instead of succumbing to flashy internet sales and trend FOMO, take inventory of the pieces you already have, visualize the outfits you would like to try and evaluate trends for longevity. I suggest writing yourself a shopping list with one column for basics and another for trends that you hope to try out. This will help you slow down and give each purchase careful consideration. To combat impulsive buying habits, unsubscribe from marketing emails and texts and limit your shopping to items you can see yourself styling two or more ways. When you do shop, make sure to buy clothing that lasts! Choose sturdy, easy-to-clean fabric and flattering, classic cuts. Also make sure to avoid overwashing and hang-dry more temperamental pieces.

Habit 2: Reuse

To extend the life of your clothing, take the time to learn basic tailoring. Knowing how to reattach a button, hem jeans and patch holes will allow you to maximize the value of each piece all while minimizing your environmental impact. Should you find yourself growing tired of your wardrobe, explore secondhand shops! Thrifting opportunities are abound in LA, but if you would prefer to shop from a curated selection, you can always download Depop, an app that lets people buy, sell and trade pre-loved clothing. 

Habit 3: Recycle

If a piece is reaching the end of its life or has taken up permanent residence in the back of your closet, the best thing you can do is find it a new home. Donate old clothing to Goodwill, or try your hand at selling online. You can also repurpose parts like buttons, ribbons, and embroidery for sewing projects and accessories.

Despite the daunting scale of the climate crisis, it is crucial to remember that change begins at the individual level. As consumers, we have the power to fight fast fashion, reduce waste and protect the health of our planet. Accordingly, let us commit to standing up for our futures.

Althea is a freshman at UCLA. Her favorite things are fashion, exploring new places, and her dog- in that order. You can follow her insta @althea.zhao!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.