HC UCLA Staff Spotlight: Christina Rice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Meet Christina Rice, one of the new Campus Correspondents for Her Campus UCLA this year! This blogging expert and social media maven has a knack for all things fashion, food, and beauty related (seriously, check out her blog! http://addictedtolovely.com). She’s got some exciting plans in store for Her Campus this year, as well as some great advice for anyone else interested in becoming a part of the Her Campus family.

What made you interested in joining Her Campus?

I was really interested in finding a way to become more involved on campus, to meet new people, and to get out of my comfort zone. I’ve always loved to write, and I have a major passion for all things relating to beauty, fashion, health, and lifestyle in general. When I came across HC UCLA, it seemed like the perfect fit! I love the fact that Her Campus relates specifically to college life and is so directly involved with its readers. Although I adore classic mags like Cosmo, Seventeen, Elle, and the like, most are targeted toward a slightly younger or older age group than I currently fit into. That’s why I love HC. It’s so relevant to what life is like right now for its readers, and it reaches an audience that is often overlooked. Plus, online magazines are ah-mazing because they’re constantly updated so you never get bored. Waiting a month for some much-needed outfit inspo or life hacks is far too long! 

What are you going to bring to the table this year as Campus Correspondent?

I am so excited to be one of the Campus Correspondents this year! I’m really hoping to make Her Campus a bigger part of UCLA campus life and get the word out about our chapter. I would love to collaborate with other groups on campus and put on a few events for UCLA students to get them involved with Her Campus in a more hands-on way, apart from just reading our articles. Specifically, I would love to put together some type of philanthropic event and give back to the community, because that’s what being a collegiette is all about!

What are you excited about for Her Campus UCLA this year?

I think this year is going to be amazing for HC UCLA. A lot of great writers graduated last year, but our new staff is absolutely incredible and is going to bring a lot to the table. With so many unique, bright, and vibrant personalities, our readers will never get bored! There’s going to be something for everyone. We also already have some future events in mind that I’m extremely excited about, but details are a secret for now! I’m just really looking forward to spreading the word about Her Campus to more girls on campus and building the HC UCLA community.

What have you learned from your experience as a writer with Her Campus?

My involvement with Her Campus has taught me so much about collaborating with other people, my capabilities as a writer, and following my passions. I’ve always loved to write, but joining Her Campus inspired me to finally start blogging and to embrace my voice as a writer. You don’t have to be the best at something to go for it. You just have to show your personality, be authentic, and write what you know. HC has been an amazing creative outlet for me, and I’ve met some incredible people through it. Her Campus is a great platform for not only discussing silly date ideas and the fastest way to curl your hair, but also to shed light on serious, important topics from bullying to breast cancer to depression. Her Campus is all about female empowerment and finding your voice, and that’s why I love it.

What advice do you have for new students looking to get involved with journalism or blogging, especially since UCLA doesn’t have majors that directly relate?

Although UCLA doesn’t offer majors like Journalism or Broadcasting, there are so many ways you can get involved in order to gain the relevant experience and knowledge to pursue your passions. Experience is what matters! Look for different clubs on campus that strike your eye, and email whoever is in charge to find out more information. You should DEFINITELY join Her Campus! But seriously, there are a ton of different magazines published by UCLA students, and there’s a place for everyone. Find your niche! Lots of different online publications would also love to have college writers, so don’t be afraid to contact those sites as well. If you have a favorite blogger, try reaching out to him or her for advice or just to chat about the blog. You never know what you’ll find out or what connections you’ll make! And if you want to start a blog, do it. Do some research, make a plan, and write about what makes you happy. 

Any last words for your readers?

If you have a passion, go for it! Never be afraid to try something new or to embrace what you love. And never let anyone make you feel like you can’t or shouldn’t do something you’re interested in. Life’s way too short. GO FOR IT! College is going to fly by, so take advantage of every opportunity you get!

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.