A Halt to the lighting of the #Beat’SC Bonfire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As Bruin’s we really get into the school spirit when the UCLA v. USC Rivalry comes around. Not only do we go full out UCLA gear, but we also anticipate the traditional Beat ‘SC Bonfire. And this year is no different than the rest, or so we Bruins thought.

Unfortunately, after the major announcement that the UC System passed the 5 percent increase for University of California tuition for the next 5 years have become upsetting for returning students next year. This then led to the big upset which led protestors trickling on to this year’s UCLA #Beat’SC Bonfire and sadly interfering the main event – the lighting of the Bonfire.

A couple of hours before the bonfire spectacle, protestors (seen above) circled around the supposed bonfire this leading it to be not lit. 

Known as part of the Bruin tradition, the #Beat’SC Bonfire has it’s way of hyping our school spirit and hearing the words of the UCLA Head Football Coach Jim Mora and this year’s football players. Along with them in uniting all the Bruin’s with great spirits, student performances also started off this year’s bonfire whilst protestors in the background continue their chant.

It’s unfortunate for first timers attending this year’s bonfire, they are unable to witness this great tradition. While some came to attend their last bonfire before graduation, there has been a great amount of disappointment due to the interference of the protestors. Although other students understand the protestor’s motives, they didn’t like the fact that it had to interfere with the lighting of the Bonfire.

There has been already been unfortunate news of the tuition increase that a majority of the students who showed up just wanted to have a positive outlook and keeping the tradition and anticipation of the rivalry game.

Apart from the downside prior to the big game, many students look forward to this year’s football game.

Hopefully, this rivalry game continues with the positive outcome allowing the Bruins to have another repeat of previous year’s victory.

U ! C ! L ! A!  UCLA! Fight! Fight! Fight! 

GO BRUINS! #Beat’SC!! 

UPDATE : UCLA is victorious over USC winning by 38-20 making it a 3-peat!  #BruinPride

Image source | the Daily Bruin

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.