closet rack
closet rack
Original photo by Esther Kang
Style > Fashion

Granny’s Got Style: Is “Grandmacore” The Next Big Fashion Movement?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I’m sure at some point in your life you’ve seen a piece of clothing and said “my grandma would literally wear that”. Crop tops and low rise jeans with that 90’s flair were all the rage this year – well, until now. Fashion took a complete 180 for the autumn and winter season by introducing the chic and modest ‘Grandmacore’ style. We’ve seen cottagecore, coastal grandma, and Sofia Grange Richie styles all separately, but when we consolidate these trends, the result is a comforting granny vibe. 

The most basic way to describe Grandmacore is a simple encapsulation of comfort, charm, and just stereotypical ‘grandma-like’ fashion tendencies. Achieving this look requires a strong foundation of six vital elements: cable knit sweaters, long wool coats, loafers, ruffled ankle socks, vintage sunglasses, and big fuzzy scarves. Typical color schemes of this rising fashion movement consist of dark reds, brown, black, cream, and navy, but bright neon colors are mixed in to add that fun element. I’ve noticed that as colder weather (basically when LA goes below 75 degrees) rolls around, I unintentionally start incorporating these items into my everyday looks. Even if its just throwing on a cable knit sweater with wide leg jeans, I feel like I’m simply achieving the grandmacore design.

Celebrity sightings in these chic outfits caused Grandmacore to be all the rage across Vogue and other fashion magazines. Bella Hadid, Hailey Bieber, Billie Eilish, Emma Chamberlain, and Olivia Rodrigo are just a few of the many trendsetters who were seen out and about looking like they just raided a grandma’s closet. I think Taylor Swift should be crowned as the queen of Grandmacore, since she’s perfected the comforting New York couture since 2014, but I guess we can give some credit to this newer wave of icons. It’s interesting to see a younger generation straying away from wearing minimal clothing to taking on this almost professional look, but I’m so here for it! 

Now, we understand that these celebrities typically wear designer and couture pieces in their granny looks, which the average college girl can’t afford. However, we have a solution to this! There are plenty of affordable options to accomplish the Grandmacore vibe on a budget by shopping at places like Zara and H&M. Places like Depop and Poshmark also have amazing deals on vintage accessories that will definitely enhance the grandmacore vibe. A key detail and a somewhat secret element is to add your own modern poise to the look, such as a mini skirt or designer remake of vintage items. Even wearing your favorite jewelry pieces can elevate the Grandmacore aesthetic while preserving that wholesome appearance. Below are a few of my favorite grandmacore-on-a-budget pieces that will definitely be a staple for winter 2023. 

Personally, I think that Grandmacore is the perfect winter fashion vibe because of its comfortable feel and confident appearance. It allows you to look put together while putting in minimal effort, which is really what every college student is looking for! I’d like to think that the significance of this up and coming trend is to allow us to find simplicity in our everyday looks, even while living a chaotic lifestyle. It adds a cozy feel without making us overthink about whether it’s the vibe of the day. This could just be me overanalyzing why grandma clothes are the big trend to end the year; there might be no significance whatsoever. Either way, Grandmacore is on the rise and I can’t wait to see more people showing off their own personal twists to the composed design!

Hannah is a second-year Economics and Political Science major at UCLA, from Yuba City, California. She enjoys writing about a variety of topics from finance to up-and-coming trends! In her free time she loves baking, going to the beach, exploring the coffee shops of LA, and playing tennis.