Governor Brown Makes History With Mandatory Water Restrictions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Image via CNN

“This is California’s worst drought in 1,200 years.” – University of Minnesota and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute Study

On Wednesday, April 1st Governor Jerry Brown made history by imposing the first ever mandatory water restrictions for cities to reduce their water use by 25%. California has been in a drought for some time but the situation is worsening. With the little snow fall we saw this past winter, the state’s underwater reservoirs cannot count on much snow melt replenishing its reserves.  According to Jay Famiglietti, Senior Watch Scientist, California has about 1 year of water left in its reservoirs. This dooming forecast is affecting many today. In Tulare county, for example, there are about 5,000 people that no longer have access to running water. We will all have to change our usual ways to successfully reach the imposed 25% reductions. The executive order specifically imposes large water cuts on large landscapes such as campuses, golf courses, and cemeteries. Given UCLA’s leading role in sustainability, we should be prepared to see water saving initiatives on campus.

To learn more, check this article by CNN.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.