This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

During these days of online classes and what can seem like a never-ending quarantine, my best friend and I have been trying out some new recipes that can really brighten your day and improve your mood just by getting in the kitchen and being your own pro-chef! It does not matter what level you are in the kitchen in terms of cooking or baking, but try out these recipes below for your family, friends or whoever you’re quarantined with to sprinkle a little more sugar and spice into your day! 

For these particular recipes, we made them for our Easter brunch, but they really can be used at any time for any meal! Happy baking!

Onion Browning
Alex Frank / Spoon

Asparagus Frittata

Ingredients

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 pound asparagus (ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces), 1 cup mushrooms (sliced), 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved), 8 large eggs, 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (divided), 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (divided), 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup feta cheese (crumbled), 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/2 cup green onions (chopped), Garnish: Green onions 

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and add ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, and ½ cup grated parmesan cheese. Whisk to combine. Add salt and pepper. Set aside.
  3. Melt butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
  4. Add chopped asparagus and mushrooms, sprinkle with salt, and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and saute for another 2 minutes.
  5. Stir the egg mixture and add it to the skillet, folding gently to combine with the veggies. Cook until almost set.
  6. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup mozzarella cheese and ½ cup cheddar cheese on top. Sprinkle the feta cheese on top and green onions.
  7. Bake in the preheated oven until frittata is puffed and cheese begins to turn lightly golden in color, about 10 minutes.
  8. Garnish with green onions before serving.
  9. Cut into wedges and serve.

Broccoli and Sweet Potato Frittata

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil 1 head broccoli – chopped into small florets, 1 sweet potato – diced into small 1/4″ cubes, 1 yellow onion – diced, 10 eggs – beaten, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the diced broccoli, sweet potato (make sure this is diced into small pieces that will cook quickly), and onion. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato is fork tender.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, pepper, and salt. After the veggies are done cooking, pour the eggs into the skillet. Sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese on top. Turn off the stove and wait 1-2 minutes until the bottom of the eggs set in the warm skillet.
  3. Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven using an oven mitt. Bake 15-17 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through. Enjoy warm!

easter brunch
katherine pappas

Kale Salad

Ingredients

Carrot Top Pesto- Tops of 1 Bunch Carrots, 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1/4 Tsp Salt, 1/4 Tsp Pepper, Juice from 1/2 a Lemon; Roasted Veg- 1 Lb Fingerling Potatoes cut into rounds, 3-4 Large Purple Carrots cut into rounds, 1 15 oz Can Chickpeas drained and rinsed, A Generous Drizzle of Olive Oil, 1 Tsp Salt, 1 Tsp Pepper, 1 Tsp Dried Parsley, 1 Tsp Dried Basil, 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder, Few Sprinkles of Dried Thyme; The Rest of the Salad- A Few Handfuls Lacinato Kale Sliced Thin, 1 Cup Cooked Brown Rice  

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Prep vegetables – wash and dry carrots and potatoes. Cut both into rounds (disks), about 1/4 inch thick.
  3. In a bowl, combine chopped potatoes, carrots, and chickpeas. Add in olive oil and spices, and mix well until everything is evenly coated.
  4. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, bake vegetables + chickpeas for 45-50 minutes. When they’re done cooking, remove from oven and let cool.
  5. While vegetables are cooking, make pesto – combine all ingredients into a food processor and process on high until a slightly smooth pesto is formed.
  6. In a bowl, mix thinly sliced lacinato kale and pesto until kale is evenly covered. Then, add in roasted vegetables + chickpeas and brown rice. Mix well until everything is evenly combined.
  7. Serve in bowls and top with sesame seeds.
  8. Enjoy!

Mixed Berry Crumble

Ingredients

Crumble: 3/4 cup (106g) all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup (53g) old fashioned rolled oats, 1/2 cup (105g) packed light brown sugar, 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter cold, diced into small pieces; Filling: 12 oz fresh raspberries (2 1/2 cups), 11 oz fresh blueberries (2 heaped cups), 6 oz fresh blackberries (1 heaped cup), 1/3 cup (68g) granulated sugar, 1 1/2 Tbsp (15g) cornstarch

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9 by 9-inch or 11 by 7-inch baking dish. 
  2. For the crumble: In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, oats, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and salt. 
  3. Add butter and cut into the mixture using a pastry cutter or fork (or rub with fingertips), until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer to refrigerator.
  4. For the filling: Rinse berries and let drain (but don’t dry). Transfer to baking dish.
  5. In a small bowl whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Pour cornstarch mixture evenly over berries then toss to evenly coat. 
  6. Remove crumble from the refrigerator and sprinkle evenly over berries. 
  7. Bake in the preheated oven until filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown and crisp, about 30 – 35 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or by itself and enjoy! :)  
    easter brunch
    katherine pappas

I tried these recipes out on my family and friends last weekend and they were a huge hit! In quarantine, when there is not much else to do besides be with friends and family, mealtimes are really great ways to stay connected. Next time you’re looking to make a great brunch, check out these recipes for inspiration!

Katherine Pappas is a third-year Political Science and Philosophy double major from the Bay Area. During her free time she loves to go on hikes, adventures with her friends, travel the globe and find the cutest coffee shops around campus! In the future, Katherine is planning on going to law school and becoming an attorney specializing in human rights, M&A or international law.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.