Giving Thanks: What If Your “Best Friend” Didn’t Exist?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

A couple of weeks ago, one of my best friends went home, so I had to go to my GE class by myself for the first time. It was definitely different and I was a little sad (although I definitely focused on the lecture more). But it made me think, what if your best friends, or better said, the people that matter in life, didn’t exist?

A best friend is someone you can count on to support you, but there are a lot of other people other than our traditional “best friends” whom we depend on in life. Now, let’s think of this term in a broader context.

I will be diving into the concept of the important people (some overlooked) who live in different categories of our lives. Let’s explore how they shape us, why we should be grateful, and show thanks for these ride-or-dies!

Siblings

We should be incredibly grateful for our siblings (even if their brutally honest responses are lowkey offending at times). There is an unbreakable bond in growing up with our siblings and even though we might fight, we should still have love for them. 

You don’t have to show thanks in a major monetary way. Show thanks by recreating childhood photos, spending quality time by doing an activity you enjoy together, or going to your local coffee shop together (I know this last one is appealing to you, Mia).

Pets

When they said “A dog is a man’s best friend,” they meant it. Pets don’t expect anything from us except our attention, love, and maybe a couple of treats, of course! I am incredibly grateful for my dog, Jackson. I’ve had him since before I entered kindergarten, so he’s literally my best friend.

Let’s show some appreciation by taking our pets to the beach, baking them some treats, or making them a new toy (maybe you can make a carrot plush like the one I made for my dog)!

Lecture + Discussion Section besties

Our discussion and lecture besties make class much more enjoyable! Even if you only see them once or twice a week, we’re grateful (I AM DEFINITELY GRATEFUL) for these people. Shoutout to my 7C pod mates + 1 (iykyk), you’re goated! 

Let’s show some appreciation to our class trauma bond squad by grabbing ice cream at Diddy Riese in Westwood, going to a basketball game at Pauley Pavilion, or maybe watching The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes together.

Coworker + Extracurricular buddies

Depending on the job or extracurricular activity you’re participating in, it can be boring at times (I’m not talking about Her Campus, of course!). But, having fun coworkers or extracurricular and volunteer buddies makes a difference.

Having a picnic at Janss steps, going to La La Land Kind Cafe for a pretty (also pretty good) drink, and making some winter treats together at the Hitchen are all fun ways to celebrate these special people.

our Parents

Don’t forget about your parents or your support system! Our family has been there since day one, so it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to show your love and appreciation for them.

Some small gestures include: making them breakfast, arranging a bouquet (from your garden or Trader Joe’s), and maybe washing their car if you really want to show extra appreciation.

Hometown long-distance besties

We might not get to see them often, but it’s comforting to know that you have friends who understand how you grew up and how you’ve grown as a person. I admit it can be very challenging to coordinate times to hang out or call each other (you guys at home know it), but I cherish every second of it when we do.

We can show thanks to these special people by painting together, sending TikToks that remind you of them, or sending heartfelt messages by text (or handwriting them if you want to get fancy).

Tas + LAs

Speaking from experience, TAs and LAs keep classes running (and our GPAs afloat lol). TAs and LAs have busy lives too since they aren’t technically our professors.

To keep it simple, send a kind email and tell them how they make a difference!

Service workers

Although they are often overlooked, service workers make a HUGE impact on our lives. The world would not be able to continue running without chefs, teachers, and many other important service workers.

Give them a personal thank you note acknowledging their hard work and your appreciation, leave them a positive review online, give a tip if allowed, or ACTUALLY complete the survey about their service that they ask you to fill out.

Thank you

Last, I want to say thanks to you for reading! The team appreciates your support in reading our articles. Remember to be thankful every day!

Danielle is a second-year from Temecula, CA. Her articles range from sharing interviews with influential figures, discussing the ups and downs of being a young woman in LA, and spreading positive energy through diverse stories! Happy reading!