Giacomo Gianniotti & Maddie Ziegler Share Importance of My Friend’s Place Charity at Annual Gala in Los Angeles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

My Friend’s Place, a prominent charity organization working to fight youth homelessness, hosted their annual gala event at the famous Hollywood Palladium in Los Angeles on Saturday, April 6th, 2019. My Friend’s Place works tirelessly to emphasize the power of unity. They believe that the fight to end youth homelessness is a battle that can only be won as a community. This year, My Friend’s Place chose to recognize prominent contributors to the organization and community, including singer/songwriter Halsey, film and television director Lee Daniels, as well as Dance Moms’s own Maddie and Mackenzie Ziegler

My Friend’s Place works to create a safe environment, providing tools and services and creating an atmosphere of community and care for struggling youths in order to put them on the path to finding housing and accomplishing their long-term goals. Along with these services, My Friend’s Place also provides creative outlets to those in their programs in order to foster their individuality and encourage them to express themselves.  

Her Campus had the opportunity to speak with a few of this year’s gala attendees, including actor Giacomo Gianniotti (Grey’s Anatomy). This was Gianniotti’s fourth year working with My Friend’s Place, and his experiences with the organization speak volumes to the power and impact of the organization: “I think the people that work there are exceptional. No one except someone who’s, like, a unicorn could care that much and give as much of their love and blood, sweat and tears to other people. The secret is that they’ve never settled.” 

Along with Gianniotti, we also had a chance to catch up with honoree Maddie Ziegler. The dancer first got her start volunteering with My Friend’s Place at the end of 2018 during the holiday season, and she and her sister immediately resonated with the values and goals of the organization: “The people at My Friend’s Place are next level. There’s a stigma behind homeless youth, but they are some of the most beautiful people. Knowing that I can potentially make someone smile makes my day.” She and Mackenzie now make monthly visits to volunteer with My Friend’s Place in order to maintain their connection with and continue helping this worthy cause. 

During her time onstage, Halsey took a moment to pause and reflect on the more serious tones of an otherwise uplifting night. She urged that though there is much to be celebrated in terms of strengthening community and celebrating individuality and creative expression, it should also be noted that homelessness is a serious social issue: “The reality is that this epidemic is deadly, and it can happen to absolutely anyone.” Having experienced bouts of homelessness herself, Halsey emphasized the seriousness of understanding that we need not help others that are struggling because of what they could potentially become, but instead realize that these are people worthy of help simply because they exist. Shifting the focus away from herself and her own rise to fame and stardom, Halsey highlighted the importance of those still in need, and she encouraged the audience to take this epidemic seriously. 

As the night’s events transpired, there was not a dry eye in sight. As members of My Friend’s Place recounted their experiences working with youths to help them succeed, it became clear to the audience just how much heart goes into every part of these programs. Erin Casey, director of programs at My Friend’s place commented that the organization “celebrates youth for being perfectly themselves.” The night concluded with a performance by Halsey, who sang a piano arrangement of her hit single “Without Me.” 

The amount of positive change that My Friend’s Place is implementing within the community is undeniable. On behalf of Her Campus, we would like to thank My Friend’s Place for allowing us to be a part of a truly moving evening showcasing the true power of community. If you are interested in working with or volunteering for My Friend’s Place, contact volunteer@myfriendsplace.org for more information to see how you can help. 

Alissa is a fourth year Sociology major at UCLA, with focuses in Communications and Film studies. She is also a member of UCLA's Campus Events Commission, which works to put on large-scale entertainment events on campus. Alissa is a lover of all-things entertainment. Her hobbies include binge-watching the latest television dramas, fine-tuning her spotify algorithm and live-tweeting events around LA!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.