This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Get pumped for this year’s sixth annual iHeart Music Radio Awards on FOX! On Thursday, March 14 from 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM Eastern Time watch your favorite artists get recognized for their huge contrubitions to the music industry. While the awards will be held and filmed live at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles viewers can look forward to it also being broadcasted on iHeartMedia radio stations nationwide and iHeartRadio, the all-in-one digital music, podcast, on demand and live-streaming radio service.

This year 15-time Grammy winner Alicia Keys will be awared the esteemed 2019 iHeart Radio Innovator Award, not only for her successes in pop culture but also her remarkable contributions to important social justice, equality and representation in and beyond the tumultous music industry. With powerful titles such as singer, songwriter, producer and entrepeneur Keys has released six critically acclaimed studio albums including the memorable Songs In a Minor. In 2018 Keys launched her nonprofit, She Is The Music, which focused on fostering inclusivity and equality for women working in the music industry. Keys is also the co-founder of another nonprofit called Keep a Child Alive. Through partnership with grassroots organizations this nonprofit fights back against physical, social, and economic impacts of HIV on children, their families, and communities in Africa and India. Other iconic stars who were awarded this honor in the past were Bruno Mars, Chance the Rapper, U2, Pharell and Justin Timberlake.

Another artist who will be awarded is for their accomplishments is Garth Brooks! The 57-year old country singer will be receiving iHeart Radio’s first-ever Artist of the Decade Award in recognition of being one of the world’s most beloved and hard-working artists. Between 148 million albums sold, nine #1 albums on Billboards Top 200 and seven diamond awards by the RIAA, Brooks has earned his title in the fast-paced music industry. The country singer has even been named the innaugural inductee into both the Live Music Hall of Fame. In addition to that he’s also been inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame, Musician’s Hall of Fame, the International Songwriter’s Hall and the Nashville Songwriter’s Hall of Fame. Brooks recent tour boasted 6.4 million ticket sales making it the largest North American Tour to date.

During this award ceremony L’Oréal is partneting up with iHeartRadio to present Halsey with the 2019 Fangirl’s Award. This honorable award recognizes women artists who use the power of their music and art to break down walls and push boundaries while inspiring their fanbases. The Fangirl’s Award was invented with the goal of celebrating the strength and power that comes along with women who support each other. This award coincides with L’Oréal’s deep-rooted belief in the inherent worth of every woman, and encourages women to support not only the musicians and artists they look up to but also the women around them as well. 

Halsey was chosen because she herself embodies L’Oréal’s empowering philosophy. Halsey symbolizes their tagline “Because You’re Worth It,” by using her voice to channel her strong sense of self worth, ambition and passion. Her chart-topping music has earned more than 10 billion streams worldwide and almost 8 million adjusted albums sold while 6 consecutive top 5 airplay singles – 3 of which reached the #1 spot. Halsey also believes in causes regarding disenfranchised youth, women’s rights, and the LGBTQ community. In addition to receiving the Fangirl’s Award, Halsey has also been nominated for for other iHeart Radio awards, one of them being the coveted Female Artist of the Year Award. A recipient of last year’s Fangirls Award was Camila Cabello.

Those who tune in on Thursday, March 14 are in store for an exciting ceremony with huge artists such as Cardi B, Shawn Mendes, Ariana Grande, Drake, Post Malone, Maroon 5 and Imagine Dragons receiving multiple nominations. For more information about the awards and a full list of the categories visit iHeartRadio.com/awards

UCLA 2020 Pamela is a Feature Writer for the UCLA Chapter of Her Campus. When Pamela isn't stressing over exams you can find her obsessing over skin care routines, reading POC-centered novels, and attempting to exercise. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.