Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Galentine’s Vs. Valentine’s: You Don’t Have To Choose

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

When I told my boyfriend I was celebrating Galentine’s, he paused, his brow furrowed in confusion, and he asked, with authentic concern, “Aren’t you celebrating Valentine’s Day with me?” I proceeded to dictate the lore and the importance of Galentine’s Day and comforted him that Valentine’s and Galentine’s were distinct and, indeed, both to be celebrated with equal enthusiasm. In the wise words of Leslie Knope, Galentine’s is “…the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies.” 

In fact, unlike Valentine’s Day, I have passionately celebrated Galentine’s annually since the beginning of high school because, the truth is, not only is Galentine’s the perfect excuse to host a Pinterest-esque picnic or Instagrammable dinner party, but it’s evidence that girlfriends have often been there for you even longer than your romantic partner. Though you might not always have somebody to escort you to romantic candlelit dinners or starlit gondola rides, it’s almost certain your girls will be there to have late-night convos or impromptu dance parties with. 

Galentine’s channels the purity of stashing candy notes into your friends’ mailboxes for Valentine’s during elementary school; it is the opportunity to celebrate those platonic relationships that are just as integral to your life but have somehow not been awarded an official holiday. I mean, honestly, it’s likely most of us would not even be with our significant others without the advice and assistance of our beloved gal-pals. The idea is to actively shower your friends with the love and adoration they deserve, whether it be through thoughtful little gifts, quality time or both. 

When in relationships, especially newer ones, it’s easy to get swept up in the romance and novelty of it all. Holidays like Valentine’s Day certainly contribute to the glamorization of romance in American society. And why not get swept up in it all? You’re in love — you should celebrate Valentine’s Day. That said, Galentine’s is also the perfect opportunity to carve out valuable time for your girlfriends, to truly appreciate them and revel in the wonderful impact of their presence on your life.  So, to answer my boyfriend’s question: of course, I’m celebrating Valentine’s with you! I’m simply also celebrating Galentine’s with my girlfriends. Moral of the story: you don’t have to choose and you definitely shouldn’t. Take every opportunity you can to formally appreciate the people that make you excited to get out of bed every morning.

Kylee is a fourth-year at UCLA double-majoring in Communication and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Her poems have been published in Train River Poetry, The Mandarin, Open Ceilings, and our very own Westwind (among others). She also writes feature articles for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time, she acts, drinks way too much coffee, romanticizes everything, and buys more books than she can keep up with.