From Tourist To Local: Mastering The Art Of Living In A New City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Moving to a new city can be one of the most exhilarating endeavors; you discover a new place with new people, a new culture, and new possibilities. However, it can also be exhausting to try to navigate a foreign place and get to know the local atmosphere. I first did this a few years ago, when I moved across the country to go to college, discovering the city of Los Angeles and everything that it has to offer. Currently, I am doing a semester abroad in Europe, and a few weeks ago, I once again found myself feeling lost in a foreign city. The past few weeks have been a blur as I have been acclimating to this new place and trying to fully experience and take advantage of everything that my new home has to offer. This article will serve as a short guide on how you can move from being a tourist to truly feeling like you belong in a new place, based on what I’ve learned from my recent experiences.

For me, one of the most important things to first do when moving to a new place is to figure out their transportation system. Getting to know the public transportation of a city is essential to navigating and getting around to your daily activities. I suggest doing some initial research into transportation passes that work best based on the amount that you plan on using public transport to get around. I personally also like to walk around as much as I can in a new place as I get to know it, but this can totally depend on the walkability of the city you’ve moved to. However you plan on getting around, try to spend as much time the first few days getting to know the routes to your daily activities and your favorite new places.

Next, I think it is really important to get to know people in the city because locals will give you the best recommendations. Getting to know your neighbors, people in your classes, people you work with, or people from any other places will help make your new city feel like home. Friendly faces are an important step towards feeling comfortable in a new place.

As much as going to a city and figuring things out is helpful, doing your research is also extremely important. Researching my new home is how I was able to find out about the city flea market every Wednesday and Saturday and a fresh food co-op for students every Thursday. Looking up what a city offers and trying out these opportunities is so helpful for making the most of your time there.

Lastly, after all of this exploring that you’re bound to do in a new place, establishing some sort of routine helps to ease you into a more regular schedule and life in your new home. Find your favorite grocery stores, parks to visit, coffee shops, or places to study, and become a regular. Getting settled in your new city is what will differentiate you from tourists and truly make you feel like a local!

Nicole is a third-year student at UCLA from Plymouth, Massachusetts pursuing an International Development Studies major and Global Health minor. She loves the beach, hiking, traveling, and coffee.