“Friends” Thanksgiving Episodes Ranked from Best to Worst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Although all of the Friends episodes are hilarious, the holiday ones are a little bit more special. For some reason, the Thanksgiving specials are all just a little funnier than the others. Check out my list of Friends Thanksgiving episodes ranked from best to worst:

Season 8, Episode 9: “The One With the Rumor”

ICONIC because of Brad Pitt. At the time, the idea of Brad Pitt being on the show was especially epic. I love the fact that Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston were together at the time. In the episode, Brad Pitt’s character hates Rachel Green. Also, the idea that he was fat in high school is hilarious because Brad Pitt is gorgeous. Rumors that he and Ross started about Rachel in high school are revealed, which makes the episode even funnier. 

Season 5, Episode 8: “The One With All the Thanksgivings”

This episode is iconic because it is a throwback episode. The episode starts with the characters discussing their worst Thanksgiving, and then the shot changes to when Monica, Rachel, Ross and Chandler were seniors in high school and freshmen in college. The 80s outfits and hairstyles make this episode hilarious. The end of the episode includes one of the sweetest moments of the show when Monica stuffs her head inside of a turkey to apologize to Chandler. 

Season 6, Episode 9: “The One Where Ross Got High”

This is quite honestly an iconic episode. The Geller parents are in town for Thanksgiving and everything that could possibly go wrong, does. Chandler and Monica are trying to find a way to tell Monica’s parents that they are now living together despite her parents having a long hatred of Chandler. They soon find out from Ross that her parents hate Chandler because in college, Ross was smoking weed in his room and blamed it on Chandler. Rachel messes up the dessert she has worked on all day and watches everyone try to eat something that, according to Ross, “tastes like feet.” After Ross fails to tell his parents the truth, Monica begins revealing multiple of Ross’ secrets, which leads to Ross returning the favor by exposing her secrets.

Season 9, Episode 8: “The One With Rachel’s Other Sister”

Although not a favorite for everyone, I really love this one because Rachel’s sister, Amy (Christina Applegate) is in town. She manages to insult and put everyone on edge, which is kind of hilarious. Another funny part of the episode is Joey watching the Days of Our Lives float in the Thanksgiving parade and realizing he was supposed to be on it. 

Season 3, Episode 9: “The One With the Football”

This might be personal, but I did not really enjoy this episode because most of the focus is football (which is my least favorite sport). The most iconic part about the episode is watching Monica and Ross compete over the Geller Cup. Neither of them are ever really graceful, so watching them play football is hilarious. It is also great seeing their friends team up against each other and the tactics they use to try to get ahead in the game. 

Season 10, Episode 8: “The One With the Late Thanksgiving”

When all the friends are late to Chandler and Monica’s for their annual Thanksgiving dinner, Monica refuses to let them in. After spending the episode trying to get in, Joey crashes into the Thanksgiving meal that Monica prepared. Although Monica would normally be one to freak out, she remains calm when she gets good news. 

Season 4, Episode 8: “The One With Chandler in a Box

This whole episode is purposely very awkward. Monica runs into Richard’s son who ends up spending Thanksgiving with them. Chandler and Joey are fighting over a girl, so Joey makes Chandler sit in a box for the entirety of the episode. Although it is not a very great Thanksgiving episode, it is pretty funny. 

Season 7, Episode 8: “The One Where Chandler Doesn’t Like Dogs”

Although almost all Friends episodes are hilarious, this one falls short a little. Much of the episode focuses on the fact that Phoebe has had a dog in the Monica’s apartment, despite Chandler’s lifelong fear of dogs. This leads the group to spend the day trying to hide the issue from Chandler. 

Season 1, Episode 9: “The One Where the Underdog Gets Away

This episode is quite honestly forgettable. It is the show’s first Thanksgiving episode, and the focus is the fact that each character is unable to spend the holiday with their loved ones for different reasons. Rachel can’t afford a plane ticket home, Chandler is hesitant about the holiday because of his parent’s divorce, Monica and Ross’s parents are on vacation and Joey’s family is scared of being around him after seeing him on an STD ad. 

After eating everything on your dining table, a good Friends Thanksgiving episode is always great. Not only can you watch it with your family and potentially bond over similar issues, but it is just an amazing show. 

Allison is a feature writer at UCLA who loves hanging out at the beach and eating any kind of dessert.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.