Style > Beauty

5 Easy Practices To Incorporate In 2023 To Have The Hair Of Your Dreams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

You’ve probably seen girls with long, thick healthy hair while scrolling through TikTok. Maybe you’ve noticed that they spread out their secrets over several videos, increasing engagement and getting viewers to watch more and more. They usually use expensive products like Olaplex, K18 and Vegamour, but haircare does not have to be that costly. Have no fear, I’ve gathered the best tips all in one place! Here’s how to have thick and healthy hair for a significantly lower cost:

Daily scalp massages

To give yourself a scalp massage, use the fingertips of both hands and apply light pressure to your scalp in circular motions for five to ten minutes. Doing this on a daily basis can increase blood flow, resulting in hair growth. This soothing, mindful practice is a great example of self-care. If you want to get fancy, there are bamboo scalp brushes and even electrical ones on the market.

@duygu.cdc

Yes daily massages increase hair thickness according to a study #hairgrowth #growyourhair #hairthickness

♬ Atlantis (Ultra Sped Up Version) – Seafret
Weekly oiling

This is by far my favorite and a technique I swear by. Carrier oils can be purchased in bulk at your local grocery store. Sweet almond oil, olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, mustard oil, black seed oil, etc. are examples of carrier oils. If you wish to add more nourishing ingredients, mix in a few drops of rosemary oil. Oil your hair once a week and leave it in for at least two hours before showering. If you want to make the experience even more enjoyable and beneficial, try adding a heated cap.

Invest in a Good Deep Conditioner

Target has a multitude of excellent deep conditioners. Deep conditioners add an extra layer of hydration to your routine, and it’s super simple to implement. For example, after shampooing, you can leave it in for ten minutes while you shave, wash your body or exfoliate. It’s a simple way to nourish your hair without taking any extra time.

Sleep on a Silk or Satin Pillowcase

While silk can be quite costly, I find that satin works just as well. The material is soft and gentle on your hair while you sleep. The softer material is also good for your skin, which is a plus. If you want to go the extra mile, skip the hair towels in favor of a 100% cotton t-shirt (this one is especially for girls with textured hair).

Get some blood work done

Hair loss can be a symptom of underlying health problems, specifically deficiencies of iron or Vitamin D. If you suspect you may be missing some of these nutrients, consult your primary care physician and request blood work. If a deficiency is discovered, your doctor will likely advise you to take supplements. Supplementation will not only help to improve your symptoms, but it may also increase your mood and prevent excessive shedding.

These are all small practices that can be incorporated without breaking the bank. It might seem overwhelming, but even choosing two practices from this list will make a world of difference in the health of your hair!

Wafa is a second-year Comparative Literature Major on the pre-med track at UCLA. Shes's on the editorial team where she hopes to cover topics on politics, beauty, pop culture, and everything in between.