Film Review: ‘Nobody’s Fool’ Celebrates Sisterhood And Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Tyler Perry is back with his newest comedy, Nobody’s Fool, which premiered in theatres on November 2nd. Starring Tiffany Haddish as Tanya and Tika Sumpter as Danica, the two talented ladies make a dynamic sister-duo. The film focuses on their relationship as polar opposites, while faced with numerous obstacles including work conflict and romantic strife. A major theme that emerges in the story revolves around the sisterly love between Tanya and Danica. The bond that these two share, as well as the romance that Danica eventually finds, makes the film a feel good comedy and will leave the audience with warm hearts. Her Campus at UCLA had the opportunity to attend the advance screening of Nobody’s Fool on November 1st. Here are some of our thoughts of the film ~ 

Danica seems to have it all. Through her own hard work, she’s built her way to the top with a six figure job and a gorgeous apartment to herself. She is thriving in her career, is absolutely beautiful and has a loyal best friend Callie, played by Glee alum Amber Riley. Yet, the missing piece of Danica’s love life creates a huge gap in her heart and serves as a major part of the film. From a young age, Danica has devotedly carried around a “wish list” that lays out all the qualities she wants in her partner. From this list of expectations, she judges each man before choosing one to pursue a relationship with. However, an important lesson she eventually learns is that the perfect man really does not exist. Rather, there exists a man who is a perfect match for her. While it is certainly a process, Danica comes to realize that her perfect match has been right in front of her all along, even though he does not fit many of the standards that she has desired. Through their imperfections, Danica sees that Frank is the man she’s truly in love with. The film debunks the stereotype of having a soulmate and instead promotes the idea of finding love from the unexpected. Overall, the representation of romance in Nobody’s Fool was sweet and also eye-opening. It left us feeling more appreciative to the people around us in our lives. We may often get caught up with wanting too much, disregarding what we already have. 

We see the sisterly bond and the romance in many aspects of the film, one of the most prominent being the comedic ways that the women interact with each other and those around them. At almost every moment of the film, the audience had something to laugh at, whether it be coming from Whoopi Goldberg’s character, Lola’s, refusal to let her daughter Tanya stay with her, or from the way that Tanya is ready to fight someone at any given moment. With Tanya working for Frank at his coffee shop, and with Danica dating him, both girls become very protective over him, which allows for some hilarious content. Tiffany Haddish really shines in her role, as Tanya has just gotten out of jail and is trying to navigate life by not partaking in the vices that she did before being locked up. The audience was laughing from the very beginning of the opening scene all the way until the ending credit scene, where we got to see some behind-the-scenes hilarious footage. The comedy in this film is definitely NSFW, so be careful who you watch it with!  

Haddish’s comedy in this film even went as far as to what she wears in the final scene. As some may know, Haddish does not like to let anything go to waste, so when she bought this white dress to wear to the premiere of her film, Girls Trip, she knew she had to get as much use out of it as possible. Since then, she has worn it to host SNL, while presenting at the Academy Awards, to the MTV movie & TV awards, and she even graced us with another appearance of the dress in this film.

With the laughter roaring from the audience, this film obviously resonated with movie watchers because of the characters and their stories. Even though the jokes are never ending, and at times maybe a little too raunchy, the theme of sisterly love and sticking up for family is largely present. This movie had us laughing the whole two hours, and even though it is a comedy, the deeper meanings about unexpected love and sisterhood is what had us talking after we left the theater. Catch Nobody’s Fool in theaters now, and you may even get to see a hilarious cameo from Nev and Max from the beloved show, Catfish

Renée is an alumna at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and served as the HCUCLA Editor in Chief and one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2019-2020 school year. She is passionate about storytelling and pushing for more Asian American representation in fashion and entertainment. 
Emily is a graduate of UCLA and former Senior Editor of Her Campus at UCLA. During her free time, Emily loves to read, travel and binge-watch episodes of Gilmore Girls. She can be reached at emilylentz47@gmail.com.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.